Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch slips when speed shift or when I roll the throttle on at about 8 grand. I've inspected the clutch plates; steel plates are not warped or burnt, friction plates are only worn down .002" to .004" nothing major. The clutch basket and hub have only minor indentations, nothing serious I think. So
I've been thinking about shimming the springs
.030" to .050" or installing some stiffer springs. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
minor indentations in the clutch basket and hub? how big are they? there shouldn't be any indentations at all.

how many miles are on the clutch, and what kind of oil do you use?

you can try stiffer springs if you want....i've used barnett springs before and they were a good bit stiffer than the stockers, but in this case putting in stiffer springs would be more of a 'band-aid fix' than actually diagnosing and repairing the root of the problem. unless your stock springs are worn so badly that they can't keep the plates and discs together at high rpm's.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The indentations are slightly more than shiny spots where each clutch plate sits. The bike has about 25000 miles on it. I just got the bike so I don't if the clutch has ever been replaced.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Do you have any performance mods done to your bike? If you have increased hp you will need the barnett springs. What kind of clutch plates are you running? The oem suzuki plates are the best. Make sure when you put the steel plates in they all face the same direction

Good luck.

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: Edster ]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, here's what I did. I sandblasted all the steel plates and installed a set of Barnett springs. Works much better now. We'll see for how long. Maybe after the rough finish from the sandblasting wears off it will slip again?
Anyways thanx for your responses.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
The sandblasted finish could also wear away your friction disk material muy pronto, since it is way softer than steel. Could lead to a complete clutch replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts