Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bit of a reality check the other day, I want some advice to see if I handled it properly. I was riding one of my favorate roads the other day, in slightly wet conditions. I was going too agressively for the traction conditions. I approached a sharp left hand corner (with good sight lines, could see if something was coming for 700-1000 feet) and very slowly rolled off the gas, and countersteered as fast as I think I could... So far so good. Now things get alittle bit blurry.. I remember bieng mid-corner looking down the next straightaway, still off the gas. I dont know if my tire was already spinning, but i gently cracked the throttle (in third gear at around 7-8k rpm) and the rear tire stepped out on me big time. I held the throttle steady and countersteered to raise the bike up. The rear smoothly came back into line and the bike shook a bit and I rode off a bit frazzled, but OK. I have experience with rear slides in the dry, but this was my first slide in the wet. Id just like to hear any experience or advice on how i handled the situation.. I dont want the same old 'take it to the track' response that really does my street riding no good. Im saving up for a trackday so get off my back!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
You should be ON the gas before you start to turn, then accellerating slowly. Much smoother and smooth = more traction

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hehe, make up your minds guys! I thought it was better to be off the gas entering a turn (wieght on the front wheel helps to 'hook' into turns instead of slowly arcing) then to gently crack the throttle as soon as possible after settling in... I practice VERY smooth roll ons and roll offs. The Ideal for me is to not have any jerk at all.
Twist of the wrist!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
What I meant was - you should have "caught" the engine before turning - not coasting or engine braking

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Hehe, make up your minds guys! I thought it was better to be off the gas entering a turn (wieght on the front wheel helps to 'hook' into turns instead of slowly arcing) then to gently crack the throttle as soon as possible after settling in... I practice VERY smooth roll ons and roll offs. The Ideal for me is to not have any jerk at all.
Twist of the wrist!
I wouldnt go fast on the street, but for the track. If your on the gas before the apex (center point of a turn) then your entry speed is to low and you should move your brake marker. You should only start gently powering on when you pass the apex.

You hitting the front brakes in the rain is the worst thing to do, you want that front tire to keep spinning.

·
Registered
888 Posts
by leting of the throttle didnt he shift the weight of the bike to the front...which would make it easier to loose traction in the back. either keep a steady throttle or ease more throttle so you can stabilize the suspension.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This info is very usefull guys... im not planning on riding public roads like a racetrack, but knowing what to do in these situations is very very usefull... btw I never coast, im always in gear (cept for a split second on downshifts).. I even shift to first gear for stops. Smoothly i might ad

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trail braking in the wet I know is an AWFUL idea... In limited traction situations, it is an excellent idea to slow down completely vertically. Trail braking does not settle the suspension, getting on the gas (even a little) does!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.