Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got Micron Serpent headers on my bike, this mid pipe has an outside diameter a bit over 2"
The bloke I bought the bike off has suck a Yosh TRS CF canister on it.
It does the job but the CF is faded and the can just looks too long
Is Micron still around? Ive found their website but there is a fatal error on several pages.

Ive got NFI what my existing one is off.
From the end of the mid pipe to the end of the can the current one is about 550mm which to me is about 100mm too long.
Any suggestions as to a can I could put on it that would fit the midpipe.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,720 Posts
Micron went out of business 10 years ago. Their products were popular enough that you still see various parts for sale.

The midpipe probably has a different inlet and outlet diameter. I'm guessing that your "bit over 2" " is the outlet. But you need to be more specific and accurate. As far as I know, all Yoshimura mufflers except the unobtainium true race mufflers have a 2¼" (57 mm) inlet I.D. I like the R77, which is sold in 14" and 12" shell lengths. But suit yourself, mufflers are highly personal. I guess you might also be able to buy a new shell for your TRS. There's a pic of my K6 with an R77 here somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill.
The R77 would be good, I'll need to check the diameter of the inlet of my existing TRS to be certain.
The circumference of the Micron midpipe is 183mm, that would give it a diameter of 58mm OD or thereabouts,.Touch and go.....
It fits in the TRS snugly so you'd think the R77 will allow it to go in.
I can't find any reference to the R77 14" or 12" so I hope what I end up with is a bit shorter than the TRS.
Found your thread on the topic but the photos are gone. Thanks again.

·
7,720 Posts
Here's the pic:

It's a 14" shell size (CRR77146W). It might have been replaced by CRR77F146W, which has a flared outlet. The 14" is used on Hayabusas and single exhaust 1000's. The 12" is used on dual exhaust 1000's and 600/750. There are several variants, ex. a dual outlet (R77D) and one where the db insert isn't removable. Also the left side muffler on dual exhaust systems has a different pn because the emblem is on the other side.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Bill, that makes it perfectly clear.
Yours looks awesome. (y)
The local yosh distributor identifies here as SKU1117302 but it is the R77 to suit the K7 1000 https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/products/suzuki-gsxr1000-exhaust-system-1117302
Hard to say precisely where it will line up because of the Micron mid/tail pipe but looking at your photo and the photo on the Yoshi instruction sheet it will go very, very close to lining up exactly where yours has.
Suspension, brakes and mapping have had money spent on them so I may as well throw some coin at aesthetics.
I'll post a picture in a few days.
Thanks heaps again.(y)

·
7,720 Posts
1117302 is the entire R77 slip-on for K7/K8, while CRR77146W is the muffler only. If you look at the last page of the installation instructions, you'll see the individual parts. You might be able to save a bit by just buying the muffler and clamp. Also the 1121-MPCA-CF carbon clamp is only sold separately. Finally note that, as a result of a EPA lawsuit and fine, Yoshimura now requires you to sign a form stating that the item being purchased is for racing only and the vehicle will never be used on public roads or land. This is really about removing the cat on K7/K8, which is not present on US K5/K6 models. But the lawsuit threw in noise issues for good measure.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll ask them in the morning if they sell just the muffler and can, don't like my chances because when I gave them the number you suggested the SKU was what they came up with......but thanks for the tip.

Just another question Bill,
Looking at your photo and and the photo on the yosh web site it appears there is a male socket where the mid/tail pipe plugs in to, that would suit me, whereas in the PDF on their site it shows a female receptical.
What is you thoughts, male or female?
Female might cause an issue where the hangar sits in relation to the emblem. I can see how close your is.

·
7,720 Posts
I bought only the muffler and clamp directly from them. There used to be a page on their website that listed the mufflers but it seems to be gone. Here it is on ebay from an aftermarket seller with a made up part number. They also sell the CF clamp but they just sold out (perhaps someone else here picked up on the pn and bought the last one). My construction looks like this:

I see pics of R77s for Hayabusas and CBRs where the tube that extends forward from the welded section is much shorter. It's possible that CRR77146W is the base muffler and that it is shortened if the bends in the midpipe are close to the muffler.

P.S. This is a different muffler but the inlet construction looks the same.

P.P.S. There's a noise compliance warning label on the inside rear that is glued on. It can be removed when new but I'm suspicious that the first heat cycle will bake it on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The TRS / TRC can be cut down shorter it you don't like the longer length and also the carbon fiber can be hand polished with a light compound to restore the sheen in the finish. Here is my 2006 GSXR1000 race bike with full Yoshimura TRC muffler that's had about 7" cut off and I polished the carbon fiber cannister this spring. Depending if your bike sits outside a lot will effect the sun damage but a good cleaning/polish it renews it and last about 2-3 years until the heat/sun cloud up the top layer of clear coat before I have to clean it back up again.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased the complete kit from the distributor today, coming from interstate so I should get it Tomorrow. Thanks for the link Bill, that one is in the US, with xmas coming it could get held up so the extra couple of hundred AUD is probably worth it. Based upon the photos and all the anecdotal evidence I'm pretty confident it will come with the female tube that extends forward.
Your race bike looks pretty cool PC. Your strap sits in about the same position as Bill's, that is where I want mine.
I'll have a go at cutting and polishing the TRC once I sought the new one.
Thanks again.

·
7,720 Posts
I didn't realize that you were in Australia. My link was intended to show that Yoshimura does sell just the muffler. There are lots of strap suppliers, including ones in titanium and CF. A few of the Suzuki 990D0-41GMS-CRB straps are still kicking around. Mine was from R-R-Racing. It was cheap and does the job.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It fitted the Micron mid pipe perfectly.
I put new plugs in it and cleaned the air filter while I was at it, new tyres too :)
Don't think it will need a remap as the throttle is still silky smooth, but I did notice it throw a flame on decel a couple of times so I'll keep my eye on those plugs.
It looks heaps better than the old one but I will cut the old one down as suggested.
Thanks heaps for your input Bill, I had NFI where to start and you gave me the clues I needed. (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks great! Sounds like your running rich which a little is not a bad thing and definatly better than being on the lean side. Do you have a secondary fuel controller like (Bazzaz or Power Commander) or ECU been remapped? I ask cause surprising to be running rich with a full exhaust and no other changes.

·
7,720 Posts
Flame on decel is normally due to the PAIR system. Is yours still there?

As I've said here before, I don't understand why Yoshimura never listed the R77 for the K5/K6. It's a simple bolt-on and looks good. About four years ago I had my K6 at a show in Long Beach where they were present and offered to show it to them. But they weren't interested.

Based on the strap location, it looks like your Micron header extends about 1 1/2" further than the Yoshimura midpipe that I used. Your hanger looks like one that Evotech offered but has since discontinued.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts