Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, sound is maybe 40% of the kick of riding a bike. Now, my current 4-1 of anonymous origin (looks great though) sounds barely ok so its time for an upgrade i reckon.
Tips anyone?

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can put anything on as long as the hole will slip over ya headers. i put a yosh off an r6 on my 750, it slipped straight over the no name brand headers i had
Forgive me for sounding ignorant
, but the headers is the midsection of the exhaust right? From the cylinders and all the way back? And you put a Yoshi end can (collector in english?) on that with no adapters?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Your almost correst, in regards to 'HEADERS'.
Generally speaking, an exhaust has two parts.
The 'Header', which runs from the cylinder head of the engine, to under the bike.
Then the muffler, which is attached to the header, under the bike.
On some bikes, the system is broken into three pieces. Header, 'Mid-pipe' and muffler.
The muffler is sometimes called a 'can', as it looks somewhat like its nick name.

·
Registered
811 Posts
yup like james said. ive got some dodgy after market headers and mid pipe, in 2 sections...the headers are the 4 pipes from the engine, then the mid pipe is from where the 4 go into 1, to the side of the bike, then the muffler slips over the end of the mid pipe.
the stock exhaust is all one piece, but an afetrmarket comes in pieeces.
if ya have after market then ya should be able to measure the end of the mid pipe and find a muffler that will slip over it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've ran lots of systems over the years, one that kicks ass flat out is from Murray Racing in OR, 4-to-1 w/ canister, like $400 uncoated (this was '99) he claims it flows as much as a sidewinder/megaphone and sounds wicked at high rpm (hell, any oilcooled 1100's sound bad as hell anyway)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like a pissed off wasp! Sweet!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, thankx a bunch. I´ll go out right away and check underneath the bike...my bet is that the exhast is three sections.

Got a full Yoshi 4-1 carbon system on the -94 and it sings like hell!! But the -86 is so far somewhat of a disappointment....
the exhaust looks nice but the sound is way too lame for me... well, here she is btw... it´s also a bit annoying that i dont know the brand...it´s totally unmarked

·
Registered
800 Posts
Do you have stock air box? Or a jet kit and pods?
How do you plan to use your bike? Street? Track?
I ask these questions to help I.D. What type of exhaust slip-on/bolt-on to help find for you

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have stock air box? Or a jet kit and pods?
How do you plan to use your bike? Street? Track?
I ask these questions to help I.D. What type of exhaust slip-on/bolt-on to help find for you
Air box? You mean filter? No, i´ve got KN-filter and Dynojetkit but thinkin about replacing them with original parts.

Street entirely. This lady has done her laps on the track...

Thanx a bunch mate...any help would be useful.
Oh, the system i have on now is in two sections: header and muffler, ie there is no midsection between the "can" and the header. I´ll give you the diameter of the header as well asap.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Can't go wrong with an old Vances and Hines system. I dunno about the packing in the muffler but the sound is like no other bike on the street, I've had people 500meters away inside a building here me take off down the road. This was at school. Its so sweet, I wouldn't trade it

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't go wrong with an old Vances and Hines system. I dunno about the packing in the muffler but the sound is like no other bike on the street, I've had people 500meters away inside a building here me take off down the road. This was at school. Its so sweet, I wouldn't trade it
You mean the older SS-system for example? actually, i´ve got one in the garage that used to be on the -94 i have but it´s pretty worn down. You know if it comes in two or three pieces? As i said before, i need a midsection or a extended muffler to slip on the header/collector

1 - 15 of 15 Posts