Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my bike changed the stock exhaust with a slip-on. When I got the bike I had FI light code on the dash. This code was the C46. After I did my research I found out that it had to do with the SET valve. Thus, I went to check what the issue could have been. I saw that the cables for the SET were removed.
Also, I saw in some of the forums that you have to remove the wire going to the ECU for the FI light to stop showing. I found that the previous owner cut the wire and then rejoined it (probably cut the wrong wire).

I have two questions about this:

1. Does cutting the wrong wire damage the ECU?
2. Does an exhaust swap(without tuning ECU) cause performance issues?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
4,143 Posts
1. Depends on what they cut and how they cut it. You'll need to consult with the Factory Service Manual and track what pin and wire it was that they cut. This is why pulling pins is a much smarter idea than cutting wires.
2. In the case of a slip-on itself, no. Removing the SET valve is going to have more of an impact on performance, because the engine was specifically tuned to work in conjunction with the SET valve to generate a certain amount of backpressure at those RPM in order to maximize torque at those lower RPM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
r I did my research I found o
1. Depends on what they cut and how they cut it. You'll need to consult with the Factory Service Manual and track what pin and wire it was that they cut. This is why pulling pins is a much smarter idea than cutting wires.
2. In the case of a slip-on itself, no. Removing the SET valve is going to have more of an impact on performance, because the engine was specifically tuned to work in conjunction with the SET valve to generate a certain amount of backpressure at those RPM in order to maximize torque at those lower RPM.
Ok, I'll buy the factory manual so I can see the pin configuration.
Also, I have to mention that the SET cables I reconnected them. And the FI light was gone for some time and then came back on and now its gone. Does checking the code(by jumping the pins at the connector), remove the FI light from appearing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts