·
Registered
1,685 Posts
the slip on will remove the SET....
and no, you dont NEED a power commander

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am thinking about getting a Micron, they make a highmount for the K5 that looks bad ass. But I really want to just get my stock pipe bored out. I love the look of the stock pipe

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
i just put a yosh (i believe YOSHI is the little green guy from super mario bros)
1/2 system on my 04. i felt ZERO power loss (no PC3). maybe on the dyno i may have lost 1ft.lb of torque down low, but i DO NOT feel ANY power loss on the street whatsoever....

·
Registered
111 Posts
The 05 1k comes with a full titanium exhaust, Now if I buy an after market titanium full exhaust system, would that give me anymore HP than my stock exhaust? If not would a race system give me more PH that the stock system?. Also I have heard of people having a full race system, but adding a street can, is this possible? And have you ever see it done

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
The 05 1k comes with a full titanium exhaust, Now if I buy an after market titanium full exhaust system, would that give me anymore HP than my stock exhaust? If not would a race system give me more PH that the stock system?. Also I have heard of people having a full race system, but adding a street can, is this possible? And have you ever see it done
Titanium doesn't make any more or less horsepower than any other kind of metal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah I know, it is lighter in weight that is about it …. I mean my dealer said there is no need for an after market full exhaust because of the exhaust this bike comes with. What do you think? Is the exhaust system on the 05 top of the line or would an after market give me that 5-6 more HP.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
An aftermarket full exhaust will give you more power for sure. If you take off your stock can and look at where it attaches, you will see that the end of the stock mid pipe is being chocked. The ide is very small.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thanks. I have been looking for an exhaust but all I have found has been race cans, Do you know who makes a full system from the street? I am having no luck on this one. I just ordered a can but they emailed me saying they do not have the street can yet.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Again, that's my biggest concern is the lost of power, I hate to have something that sounds nice, but 'dumbs' the performance in any sense. I hope I don't lose shit with a slip-on.
I agree...Dont do it! I did that twice already with my 2002 TLR and 2003 GSXRK3. With a Bolt-on, it was fine. No power loss and a bit gain. However, as soon as I added the slip-on and started to eliminate the set-values, my bottom and mid power was gone to shit. I had PC3's and 2's. Nothing correct3ed it. I then went to full system, and got worse. I said, I will never ever ever touch my next bike. I will leave my K5 just as it was picked up from the dealer. Only a sprocket has been added to it.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Again, that's my biggest concern is the lost of power, I hate to have something that sounds nice, but 'dumbs' the performance in any sense. I hope I don't lose shit with a slip-on.
I agree...Dont do it! I did that twice already with my 2002 TLR and 2003 GSXRK3. With a Bolt-on, it was fine. No power loss and a bit gain. However, as soon as I added the slip-on and started to eliminate the set-values, my bottom and mid power was gone to shit. I had PC3's and 2's. Nothing correct3ed it. I then went to full system, and got worse. I said, I will never ever ever touch my next bike. I will leave my K5 just as it was picked up from the dealer. Only a sprocket has been added to it.

I don't like the sound of this one bit. Can anyone who has mounted up a slip on to the K5 confirm if you experienced any low-mid power loss???

I may be imagining things but my K5 really doesn't seem to have all the bottom end I hoped it would have, mid-top picks up well though. I hate the stock can, but I don't want to lose any bottom end when that SET valve goes bye-bye.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
i do believe anything you put on a bike with a slip on will lose the very bottom end(not much/depends on what pipe/won't feel it anyway) but usually gains at mid and top end! i mean look at most dynos everrywhere with any aftermarker exhaust. i don't mind losing a litttle bit in the bottom as long as its gains along the mid and top end.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a very pressing issue, since I'm NOT planning on modding my bike with more than a slip on. I'm more than pleased with the performance my k5 has now, the pisser is, I already bought an exhaust, and most likely going to put the biatch on ebay.

If this is the case, I'll stay with my stock can. PLease, anyone with a slip on with any input, please post, asap.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I may be imagining things but my K5 really doesn't seem to have all the bottom end I hoped it would have, mid-top picks up well though. I hate the stock can, but I don't want to lose any bottom end when that SET valve goes bye-bye.
SPL170db,
You are so right, I thought I was the only one, it feels like my 01gsxr1K has a lot more bottom end then my 05 - my 01 makes power througout the revs, really nice useable power curve.. The 05 feels almost like an on/off switch, NOTHING below 4500rpm, then it just starts pulling like crazy. Call me crazy, but I still prefer my 01 power delivery over the 05, but love the agility of the 05
Anyone know how I can smooth out the power delivery?? New map?? Please help . . .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.