Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a '88 GSXR 750 motor! I have found someone that has a motor for sale, but it is not in a bike and he does not have the bike. He said that this motor came out of a '88 GSXR 750.

Is there a way to tell?

Were ALL '88 750's Slingshots?

What is the difference in the carbs from a non-Slingshot motor?

Thanks for any help.

saved

[ 10-21-2002, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Simon Orttan ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
all '88 750's were slingshots. the name slingshot is used to describe that particular set of mikuni carbs, in 88 they were 36mm.
it's called slingshot, because the carb slides are flat on the airbox side, and the middle parts of the port side of the slides are semicircular. so when you look at them from the top, they look kinda like a slingshot.
the 36mm slingshots were good carbs, they also retrofit to the first gen gixxers, with very good results if you jet them properly. if you can grab a set of 36mm slingshots, they would be a good match for your 1100h.
the later model 38mm slingshots are a bitch to tune right (they're very sensitive), and are too tall to retrofit into the older 86-87 gixxer frames. at any rate, the bores are too big for the older gixxer ports anyway.

as for the motor, i believe 88-89 short strokes were actually 748cc's, not 749's as the long strokes were. if you check the stamp on the left side of the cylinder, it'll tell you what the exact displacement is.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Jeff is correct (as usual) about the 748cc thing.

------------------
'89 750---Factory ignition advancer and shift kit, Barnett Kevlar Clutch and springs, Goodridge SS brake lines.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeff and Umf.

It does have 748cc stamped on it, so I guess it is the one that I am looking for.

Now, are the heads any different than the other 750's from that time frame?

------------------
<font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3" color="blue">Feeling the Need for SPEED!</font>
'86 1100G
2 - '87 1100H
'88 1100J
And a few Harleys

[This message has been edited by Cherry871100H (edited 12-12-2000).]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, the heads are different. the short stroke motors had 3mm larger bores, with bigger valves and ports. still had the forked rocker arms and screw type adjusters from the first gen, though. redline is at 13k.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TurboTim,

Just let me know where it is and I will look at it for you.

Do you have parts for sale or just spare stuff that you are holding on to?

------------------
<font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3" color="blue">Feeling the Need for SPEED!</font>
'86 1100G
2 - '87 1100H
'88 1100J
And a few Harleys

[This message has been edited by Cherry871100H (edited 12-13-2000).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted by Cherry871100H:
I am looking to purchase a '88 GSXR 750 motor! I have found someone that has a motor for sale, but it is not in a bike and he does not have the bike. He said that this motor came out of a '88 GSXR 750.

My question would be why?...the short stroke was left behind after two years of trying to get it to run like the old long stroke. Look for an older or newer version long stroke. The 88-89's also had problems with pieces of combustion chamber breaking off and being inhaled into the engine. Better yet put that 1100 in it. That's want I'm doing now.

------------------

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
89gixxer,

I am buying it for the Head, cams, and carbs.

You can use those 3 items on a 1052cc 1100 and it really makes a difference in the motor without having to spend a fortune on head work.

------------------
'86 1100G
2 - '87 1100H
'88 1100J
And a few Harleys

·
Registered
41 Posts
or take the 88/89 engine..put in a 1052 crank, big block, and some pistons and you have a 1100 engine with 750 cases..good sleaper engine!

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TurboTim:
If it wasnt so f'n cold outside I would go look at mine outside.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine gets a treat this year....its in my bud's garage for the winter - heated!! Its going to spoil the tanker for next year. Anyhow, the wife is jealous; her F4 is still sitting outside. hehehe

------------------
Fat Bastard's bike: '93 GSXR1100wp CDN version w/ thoroughly ridiculous # of mods :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cherry871100H:
89gixxer,

I am buying it for the Head, cams, and carbs.

You can use those 3 items on a 1052cc 1100 and it really makes a difference in the motor without having to spend a fortune on head work.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know where you're going with that plan, I've been there as well, be aware that the head will increase your compression big time, unless you releave the dome. You my at least want to peen your rods and maybe bush them as well. Run race fuel because your higher compression will demand it or you'll detenate under full load. I found the cams in my '89 to be direct dups of the 1052. Maybe yours will differ. You'll need racing valve springs or you could float the valves on a big mis-shift. Just my two cents.

------------------

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
89gixxer,

Thanks for your input and that is exactly where I am planning on going. I plan on running race fuel and changing out the valve springs.

Can you please explain:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>You my at least want to peen your rods and maybe bush them as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> a little further.

Thanks

------------------

'86 1100G
2 - '87 1100H
'88 1100J
And a few Harleys

·
Registered
297 Posts
i got my 86 gsxr 750(g), what does the G mean and what is the difference in the other models. another thing is that when i got the bike, it had ''slingshot'' written on the rear cowling (plastic)... did they make the "slingshot" in 86 and how can i tell if its a sling shot or not?:dunno

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
i got my 86 gsxr 750(g), what does the G mean and what is the difference in the other models. another thing is that when i got the bike, it had ''slingshot'' written on the rear cowling (plastic)... did they make the "slingshot" in 86 and how can i tell if its a sling shot or not?:dunno
Nope First Gen bikes (85 - 87) were not slingshots. Slingshots came out in 88 and it was all about the carbs. The engine was a short stroke too, which also made it different than the first gen bikes but the term slingshot was coined as described a few posts above due to the carbs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nope First Gen bikes (85 - 87) were not slingshots. Slingshots came out in 88 and it was all about the carbs. The engine was a short stroke too, which also made it different than the first gen bikes but the term slingshot was coined as described a few posts above due to the carbs.
thanx for the knowledge, im building a streetfighter out of my bike but there are a couple of body mods that are going to be tricky. the 03 r6 is one of the worst and i guess the simple one will be the zx-6 front fender. if anyone has any advice on the body work. by the way andrew... love the fast black and red:cheers

·
Registered
192 Posts
this thread is almost 9 years old... talk about being old school.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
thanx for the knowledge, im building a streetfighter out of my bike but there are a couple of body mods that are going to be tricky. the 03 r6 is one of the worst and i guess the simple one will be the zx-6 front fender. if anyone has any advice on the body work. by the way andrew... love the fast black and red:cheers
Thanks.... You know your colors. I added the blue wheels and front fender to reign in the speed a bit :lmao

Put up some pics of your project! You'll find lots of help amongst the group here.

·
Registered
297 Posts
lol i bet if you paint to match...it might even be a lil faster. definantly going to post pics but im trying to get a few more before doing so...o yea and owning a camera would help too

1 - 20 of 36 Posts