Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went and raced at Road Atlanta.... That place is amazing!!!

I got there Friday and practiced as I had only ever been on the track once before with STT. I was instructing that day and didnt much of a chance to really"ride" it. I was a bit nervous.I knew it was an important race for my season. And I knew I sucked there!!!!!

Friday practice was decent. The first time I went into the Chicane after turn 1 I almost shit my pants!!! That is crazy tight. I got 4 sessions and went from a 1:47 to a 1:42. I was pleased and I was getting better with each lap. Frashizzle helped me out with the spots I was struggling with....Thank you Jon..........

Saturday was was 1 round of practice and the Solo 20 race. I dropped 1 second in the session and was as ready as I could be for the race. There are no points awarded for the Solo races, so winning wasnt that important to me. I had a 3rd wave start which didnt help out either: I wanted to see what the track was like with race paces and ego's
involved . I got a great start and went into turn 1 leading the 3rd wave and catching the back of the second wave as we crested the hill. I filed in line for the chicane and then started my fun......... Finding passing zones when I could, realizing what would work and not work. I also found out just how my fast my lil R6 really is!!! That thing can flat move!!! I found myself struggling with my brakes. The lever was coming all the way back to throttle in the hard braking zones. I was losing ground in turn 6 and turn 10 as a result. I couldnt stop the bike!! I debated on pitting in as went under the bridge. Then I thought about my cool little brake lever I bought from Wiz!! Now I had to find a spot on the track I could adjust it!! I decided to sacrifice a lap and do it on the back strait. As I clicked 6th gear went tight out of 9 and adjusted the lever before I went down the hill into 10. It worked!! The brakes were then spot on as lifted the back tire down the hill. I then started taking spots back. I worked real hard and rode smart, ended up with 19th. Not too bad with a grid of 65 riders.Dropped my laptimes to a 38.

Sunday was it time for business!!!

1 round of practice and still hitting the 38's. Cory and JB were faster with 36's at the time. Cory and Jb have been killen me in the points all year.I knew I would have good grids as I am leading in points in 3 classes and 3rd another in the North Fla region.I got 3 front row's and 1 3rd row grid spots.......

In the first race my start sucked!!! I went into turn 1 very timid for some reason and followed to the chicane about 5 or 6 bikes back. I was not losing ground and made a couple of passes putting myself in 4th. I was pushing harder and harder to catch the leaders and made a big mistake going into the chicane too fast!! I nose-wheelied to the rumblestrip and was still too fast to make the turn. I stood it up and blew right over the cones and grass. I lost 4 spots immediately!! It took me a few minutes to regain myself and fell back further into the pack: I finished with a 14th.... not acceptable!!!

2nd race of the day, the clouds were rolling in. After a few redflags and restarts….I got my best launch yet…….. The rain started to fall as I went into turn 1 leading the pack.. I put my head down and rode as hard as the conditions would allow. As I rounded 12 for the first lap I saw a guy on the pit wall signaling me that I had a huge lead. I really didn’t believe it as I knew who I was racing against. I kept my head down and pushed hard for another lap. As I rounded 7 I almost spit myself off in the air. Managed to recover and take a peek behind, no one there…. It was raining harder by the minute. I saw the halfway flag and started to ease up a little. Later I saw that I was running in the 54 range while everyone else was in the 2:00 laptimes…….. I went into turn 10 as gingerly as I could. I saw a friggen river flowing thru with all the mud on the entry. I barely tipped it in and BOOM!! On my ass I was…… I got up and ran to the bike and tried to get it restarted, found out about turning the key off and back on (thanks to Kenny the cornerworker!)….. Got the bike restarted and got back on the track in 4th. I was told to re tech!!! Arghh!!!! I hauled it into pit lane and got re-teched and re-entered the race way back. I fought back to 12th .…Dammit!!! Almost. I have no excuses. I messed up.

Race 3, I mounted rains and off I went. I had another great start and battled for the lead all 6 laps. I got pinched in the back markers in turn 7 on the last lap and couldn’t catch him for the win. I took home 2nd., That was so far the best one of the day for me. Tons of fun dicing it up every lap. I bet we passed each other 3 times a lap and just fought it out till the end. The track was starting dry so the rains weren’t working all that well in the dry parts. I hunted out every puddle I could to keep them cool. It worked out well for me.

Last race of the day was a 750 race. I had another front row start and a great launch again. Cory on the 750 was fast!!! I held my own all race and even beat JB for 4th place. I rode the best race I could and held my own against all those ponies!! My lil R6 is fast!! I couldn’t believe how well I was doing against them. I got into the 1:37’s in that race……

All in all I had a great weekend at Road Atlanta……… Thought I was gonna suck there…..guess not!! I cant wait until the GNF and I hope it rains all damn day!! I won’t make that mistake again!

I would like to thank my team, Chubbs, Jon, Ed, Bloke, Dave and Jenn for all their help and support, and crash repairs. Sarah for the mounted rains!!

Sixx,aka “The Rainman”

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yeah great job dude!! i heard your name over the loudspeakers a lot, especially in the POURING RAIN!

way to go mang

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
yeah great job dude!! i heard your name over the loudspeakers a lot, especially in the POURING RAIN!

way to go mang
sounds like sixx & I should do a rain race together...
I love the rain too...

Congrats and a great write up...love the detalis...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts