Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I've been using semi-synthetic at my first oil change on my K2 1000, K3 1000 and now the K5. I'm very sure its ok. What's important is that you do not use full synthetic, at least not until after you've passed the 1,000 mile mark (but I'm sure there are others here who will disagree).

Also, you should try to stick with the manufacturer's recommended viscosities, and look for the SAE and JASO marks on the package so that you'd know it conforms to current standards for motorcycles. And never, ever use automotive oils, which may contain additives that will affect clutch operation (the transmissions in car engines have a separate lubrication system).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
this topic is as debated as the break in topic......
i change my oil once at 500 using regular oil, then every oil change after that is full synthetic.........

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I did:

Dumped oil at 60 miles with regular petroleum based

Again at 700 miles with regular

Switched to full synthetic Repsol at 1800, and that's what I'll be sticking with.

Porsches and Vettes come from the factory with Mobil 1 sythetic, so I don't what to think about the whole break-in philosophy when it comes to that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did:

Dumped oil at 60 miles with regular petroleum based

Again at 700 miles with regular

Switched to full synthetic Repsol at 1800, and that's what I'll be sticking with.

Porsches and Vettes come from the factory with Mobil 1 sythetic, so I don't what to think about the whole break-in philosophy when it comes to that.
I think the difference is the types of metals used in motorcycle engines and the tolerances they are built oto versus what they use in the vette engines.

It probably also has a lot to do with the fact that the same oil runs through the clutch and tranny, where as in a car they have dry clutches and a seperate lubrication system for the tranny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts