Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just sitting here wondering... has anyone ever tried to retrofit the current generation EFI system onto one of the old oil-coolers? I mean, they have these "custom map" thingies that go with em, it seems like it would be relatively easy to do for someone with access to a dyno... You guys ever heard of a project like this?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yep in can be done a guy goes buy the name Racer-xxx on here has a friend that did, but it its major $ and work
-Karl
in my opinion not worth it, get a set of flat-slides

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
just put a dynojet kit and K&N filters on your 36mm carbs, with a free flowing race pipe , of course..........Get it set up...carbs balanced and dynoed and you should get a crisp 128-132 bhp if it's not too tired..................don't waste money on the new stuff for no gain !!!

If you need more then get it bored to 1186 or 1216 and get the head flowed then you are talking 150bhp at the wheel with a good pipe !

The oil cooled GSXR motor is fantastic and the 'K' is superb.

A friend of mine ran a Bandit turbo/nitrous, same oil cooled motor (more or less), with standard rods in 2000 with around 300bhp. The rods were still in perfect cond when he upgraded them for last seasons drag racing !

He's running an 1100K motor this year in a special 'Spondon' frame
etc etc and is looking at around 400 bhp with turbo and nitrous ...........

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Andy James ]</p>

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hey Fastcat
If you need dyno tuning, go see a friend of mine in north Seattle. His name is George Dean at George Dean's Seattle cycle service on (about) 117th & Aurora Ave N. (west side of Aurora)
You may know of him, he is a hi performance engine GOD!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on George Dean's cycle service! And Andy, yeah, I specifically wanted *this* era GSXR because of the motor... I'm not really too concerned with peak RWHP numbers so much as a big torque number and a nice flat, tractor-like curve. I just thought the EFI would make tuning a lot easier than fiddling around with glorified fuel-leaks (carbs) and the associated needles, springs, and jets. Mostly I'm just sitting here, watching the rain, and wishing it was warm (and dry) enough to ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts