Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled of the swingarm to my 87 1100 an found chain damage to the axle pivit area. Should I worry about this or still use it? The bearring still moves fine and the damage did't go all the way threw.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
I don't think it's anything to worry about but if it bothers you it can be fixed. Pretty much any TIG welder worth a damn could do it in no time. You'd have to file it down and refinish it afterwards, but it can be done. Not likely worth it though.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I would think it was ok as well, but if you tend to carry alot of weight (passenger) and / or ride over rough roads, and/or have high horsepower, I would keep and eye on it and look for cracking and deformation. If you weld it you should probably leave a totally degreased bearing in there to minimize distortion of the bearing mounting area. Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
If you do decide to weld and refinish it, you should think hard about pressing that bearing out and making a steel plug to fit into the hole that is a nice slip fit. Otherwise, the heat from welding can distort that bearing bore. And it dont take very much believe me....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts