Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Should I sell my K6 GSXR 1000??

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  rickyracer1000 
#1 ·
Hi guys I took my k6 1k up to the local shop to get a dyno tune the other day, I had a conversation with the tech (Brian) about my goals of racing this year. I told him I wanted to compete in the crazy 8's index races, but ultimately I wanted to race in the real street class. He told me that the 1k's weren't a good idea for a heavy rider and that there are hardly any 250lb guys in real street running 1k's. He also said that I need 350-400hp to be competitive and his buddy (200lb + rider) goes through 6 motors a season making that power with his 1k. He told me to get a big cc bike like a Busa or ZX14r, he really recommended the Busa said it was cheaper to build and make that power, and to run a turbo if I ever planned to make more the 400hp or Nitrous if thats all I wanted. He told me that the bike would be more durable and the extra torque would help get me better ET's. So my question, is all this true? I really love my K6 and I think it's beautiful. It's one of the best looking bikes ever in my opinion, but I don't want to dump a lot of money into it to race, and it's not a good platform for me to be competitive. So I told him I would think about it and come back another day, I didn't get the tune. So please give me some input as to what route to go thanks.

#2 ·
A Busa will be easier and less costly to get competitive power,but you're still looking at spending $15-20k to have the bike set up to be competitive.
It's not that easy to jump into that class and become a top-10 rider,unless you have all the tuning knowledge and do all the work yourself,it's going to be a very costly endeavor. 350-400hp is what you'll need. Nothing is cheap about a turbo build;a Busa will be more reliable at those rwhp levels.

The Crazy 8's class would be a much better starting point if you are serious about racing. You could spend a couple grand on setting up the bike and be capable of winning. You'll need to be able to run 8.0's consistently in RST,which is very costly.

There are weight/chassis breaks for heavier riders listed below
http://www.raceidbl.com/rulebook/2017_rulebook_real_street.pdf

#3 ·
Thanks you recommended that I do crazy 8's first that's how I knew about the class. So I was going to spend this year running that class and get my skills up. So I should sell it and buy a Busa then? I like the Gen2 I'd like set the bike up real street legal but how much hp would I need to run 8.80's with these mods and a Heavy Weight Rider.

1. Penske Drag Shock
2. Co2 Air Shifter
3. Gearing
4. Shortened Forks/ Lowered Strapped
5. 72 – 78 inch Wheelbase
6. Low pro oil pan
7. Lightweight Wheels
8. Ceramic Bearings
9. Drag Tire
10. Clutch Mod
11. Weight Reduction

#4 ·
A Gen2 Busa with a full exhaust/MR12 tune and those mods you listed will easily run 8.80s

You should be able to run an 8.8x with a 1K that has head/cams and MR12 fuel,just gear the shit outta it and go from there.

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but if the Busa is a better platform for me, (seems unanimous) for my goal, I don't want to put money into my K6 I won't get back. I'm going to have to learn the new bike also, different clutch, different torque, different weight, I'd rather just start fresh.

#10 ·
In regards to your earlier comment about not wanting to put money into your 1000, that you won't get back...
You don't get any of it back.

It doesn't matter if you dump 5 or 20 grand into your K6 or build up a Busa platform. There is no monetary return on these "investments". If you're lucky you get pennies on the dollar, when you try to part out your machine after you hang up your leathers.

My 2 cents...utilize what you already have. Build a 1070 or better, and flog that.

Do it, because you want to have fun and experience putting your ass out there...and you can afford to.

#11 ·
If he can get his money back on his current bike, which should not be a problem, he is going to be far better off than trying to dump money into it to try to catch up to the Busa. There's a lot of catch-up to do, and I do think the Busa is a far better starting point.

#12 · (Edited)
In regards to your earlier comment about not wanting to put money into your 1000, that you won't get back...
You don't get any of it back.

It doesn't matter if you dump 5 or 20 grand into your K6 or build up a Busa platform. There is no monetary return on these "investments". If you're lucky you get pennies on the dollar, when you try to part out your machine after you hang up your leathers.

My 2 cents...utilize what you already have. Build a 1070 or better, and flog that.

Do it, because you want to have fun and experience putting your ass out there...and you can afford to.
I understand what you are saying, stuff like this is a poor investment, and more about fun, but I'm not made of money exactly, and I have a budget to stick to. I want to spend my money on something that I can enjoy long term. I paid $3800 for my K6 cost me $2000 to get it road legal with the mods I have now, if I sell it now I might get $6000 where I live for it. I have $20,000 saved up for my racing budget, (I took this pic a few months ago) I've since saved another $4000. If I do a 1070 I'm not sure but I'm thinking at least $2000, to do it. I was thinking with that money, I could sell my K6, buy a Busa, and still have a good chunk left for maintenance, tune, mods, race gas and training. My main point of the post was, I'm going to pay my dues racing crazy 8's, (maybe attend a drag racing school also) but I ultimately want to run in real street. I'm a heavy rider (250-255 lb suited) so which platform would give me the best chances to be competitive, whichever it is for my situation, I'll get that and stick with it, I'm going to have a blast at the track either way. :grin2:

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
So after reading your last reply,smart money would be to forget the 1070 for the K6....Since your ultimate goal is to run RST,I'd decide if you want to go with a Gen1/Gen2 Busa,and then decide if you want to go nitrous or turbo.

Both will be capable of running the number for RST,both will be very expensive,& both set-up's have advantages/disadvantages. Before you start your build,find a good shop/builder/tuner that you can trust and develop a relationship with as this will help you tremendously in the future.

Don't cut any corners during the build,spend top dollar on the best parts(no chinese eBay shit:thumbdown) and make sure your builder knows your rwhp expectations so there is no confusion/time/money wasted. Build it right from the get-go and save yourself a lot of frustration. If your budget allows,build an identical back-up engine which would be a exact duplicate of your main engine. That way when(not if) you toast your engine at an event,you're still able to compete without having any downtime;which can be significant during the racing season as most builders are swamped with their own race schedules,etc.

Make sure you build the bike following the IDBL rulebook for RST,this will save you thousands of dollars by not having to build your bike twice. You can easily dial back the power for Crazy 8s,and having the same set-up will allow you to get used to the bike while you get experience&seat time.

Almost forgot,if you don't have one already you'll need a good sized enclosed trailer,fully equipped with tools,spare parts,etc. And a good reliable tow vehicle

Good luck:cheers

Reactions: HeJason
#15 ·
Thanks great advice as always makes perfect sense to me. You even brought up somethings I hadn't thought of yet like a trailer and to stock spare parts. I do have a Chevy c1500, but I also own a few semi trucks maybe I could convert a 20ft refrigerated container into a mini shop :punk. I really like the Gen 2 Busa so I'll get one of those.

#16 ·
Keep the refrigerator in tact,it'll come in handy during the summer when you're thrashing like a lunatic to work on the bike before the next round lol. Throw a bed and kitchen in there too,you'll never wanna leave the track :lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.