Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking, should I replace them while the engine is broken down? Since I am doing a complete rebuild, and as far as I know they have never been replaced. If they are orginal then thay would be about 17 years old

What kind of break in would they require if replaced?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Best way to judge that is to take an honest look at what kinda shape are the journals/bearings in.

Pick up some Plastigauge; if the clearances check out and the inserts are in good condition, why bother?

On the other hand, if the engine's seen plenty of service there's probably never going to be a better time to freshen up the lower end. How many miles, and how much do you know about the way it was ridden?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how it was ridden before me, but it does have around 19,000 miles. Don't know for sure since everything is scattered around the garage.
What is plastigauge? I have never heard of that.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The more I think about it I should probally go ahead and replace them while the engine is broken down. I will start hunting for prices.
Is there anything else I should replace on the bottom end while its apart? Anything I should take a close look at?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You're probably making the right choice to replace them- especially the rod bearings.

Plastigauge is available at many auto-parts stores; it comes as thin filaments of plastic of several sizes. The diameter of the filament is closely controlled.

You use the stuff by placing a small piece into the bearing on top of the journal... button the assembly back up and bring the fasteners up to whatever the normal torque value should be. Take the assembly back apart; the plastic filament will have crushed... don't move or disturb it for the moment.

From here, it's simple... there's a printed strip down the side of the Plastigauge package; hold it up against the crushed strip of filament... by matching the printed bands with the size of the crushed filament you can directly read the bearing clearance with good accuracy.

The stuff is very inexpensive, so get a pack each of the two or three sizes you'll need to be able to go from 0.001" up to around 0.006".

I've never used one but I understand that Suzuki dealers do have a bearing-shell kit (packed in a suitcase of some sort)... not sure what the form is or whether it's something they'd loan out (probably depends on how well you know them). If you know what sizes you need based on the clearances (there will be a bearing code stamped into the engine cases, you'll need that info too) you shouldn't have any trouble.

If you're going to do the work yourself I'd advise picking up a decent-quality 2" micrometer to be able to check the diameters of the journals against the service limit.

Ed

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: gsxr1198 ]</p>

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
most definitely replace the bearings since you have the motor apart!!! bearings are cheap compared to a crank or rods..you should not have more than 150-200 in all new bearings...

·
Registered
805 Posts
If I had the motor apart, I would replace them even if they looked good.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I would replace the bearings too. I won't cost you that much. I've used the suzuki bearing kit before. It has enough of all the different bearings to do the whole motor in each size

The parts manager wouldn't lend it out though. He said the dealership was charged for all the bearings and then when they send the kit back they refund the dealer for the unused bearings. If you have a service manual you can easily find the bearings you need by looking at the codes stamped into the cases, crank, and rods.

Don't forget to check out your trans while it's apart.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What should I look for in the tranny? Just wear and tear or anything paticular?

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Look at the gear's on the output shaft. The engagement dogs on the gears should be flat and have no rounded edges. Also check out the shift forks and the shift drum. If your tranny hasn't been back-cut I would recommend you have it done. This will prevent future headaches

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
some call it back cut and others call it under cut just depending what part of the countruy you are from...it's all the same..i agree with edster get it cut and that will prevent any problems in the future as far as your tranny goes...r&d transmissions are the best in my opinion but you can ask around for other shops that can do that kind of work...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do undercut tranny gears look like? I think they might have already been done. I there an easy way to find out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The bearings are up to you, I've seen sevral motors that were run well in excess of 80,000 miles and the bearings were perfect. Suzuki Totally over engineered the lower end (The whole friggin motor actually)

On the subject of the tranny. Buy a New second Gear, the original ones were junk and prone to exploding whenever the felt the need. The new gear that comes from Suzuki is a retrofit and wil last quite a while

1 - 16 of 16 Posts