Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my dealer lower the bike and they only lowered the front end. They said you want it to be even front and back. But my friend said that for best handling the bike is meant to have the front sitting lower than the rear. Its not lowered much in the rear, I believe an inch. Should I lower the front an inch?

·
Registered
545 Posts
First-off…. why are you lowering it...

Secondly… lowering a bike will definitely change the way the bike handles...
if your goal is to be able to touch the ground while you sit on the bike; then keep it balanced i.e. lower it equally like 5 mill in the front and 5 mill in the back...
if your goal is for handling then drop it 3 mill in the front, and raise it 5 mill in the rear, or change the rear tire to a Dunlop gpa 190/60

either way, depends on WHY you want to lower the bike.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
OK for starters, lowering the bike does not drastically effect your handling, you will only really notice any difference on the track (which you wont notice that much of a difference) For street riding, do what you want. Its not going to make a difference if the bike is even or not. The bike is actually higher in the rear, so when you sit on it, its even. If you make even when you are off it, then it will sag in the rear when riding. So if you dropped the rear and inch (1 inch, would mean 3/8" extension of suspension links, or dog bones) then I would lower the front anywhere from .5-.75" that will set you about perfect. You dont really have to measure too much to lower the rear, because you have to put bolts through a hole, so they have to be pretty close. But the front, you want your measurements to be EXACT, or else your bike will pull. So do this with precision. If your a beginner at lowering bikes, then use two people to do it. You need one to hold the front end up while the other loosens the pinch bolts.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts