Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about having my crank blueprinted by Falicon. They will balance, polish the oil journals and other minor work. The question is it worth the money $285. What benefits will I get if any.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The benefits you'll get all depend upon how bad your crank is now. If it's out of balance, then it will make a huge diff... if not, then don't expect to notice anything by the seat of your pants when you get it all back together. I've had falicon do work for me in the past, and they are a reputable shop... Do you have the money to do it, or are you on a shoestring budget? If your've already got the engine apart and are going through the whole thing anyway, it's not a bad idea... *especially* if you have big performance upgrades (bigger pistons, or NOS, or turbo) in the future... If the engine is all in one piece and running well (oil press. is good), and you're not planning on hopping it up, I'd leave it alone. My $0.02

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Only do it if you need it !
I agree with the ready for big bore NOS etc bit.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not to far from shoe string. I can either get the crank done or get the bike painted. The problem is none of the fairings match. If getting the crank done pays off in the long run(longer engine life) I will probally do it. I just can't decide.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Well, I haven't personally done any destruction-testing of the oil-cooled motors... maybe some of the racer-dudes can give some input here? ANYway, I'd be surprised to hear that the crankshaft is the first thing to fail and end an oil-cooler's life. I'd suspect that the crank/rods are one of the most durable parts of those motors under normal, unmodified street use.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
You should be okay as long as you run a 750 motor. If you have a 1100 in it have the crank gone over. 1100's (both 1052 and 1127) have problems with the number 2 journal and the 1127 crank is prone to cracking. If you have it apart I would have Falicon check my crank just for peace of mind. If its a complete motor with no trouble don't open it up to have it checked.
Bones

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
If you are going to the trouble of splitting the cases to balance the crank, have the rods magnafluxed and if ok, then shotpeened and balanced. Balance the pistons AND the clutch basket. That pretty much covers all the buzzies.

If your motor is all buttoned up and you are keeping it stock, don't bother. Just keep your oil in top shape and stay about 1000 rpm shy of redline when screaming around. Saves a LOT of wear on the engine and doesn't really detract a helluva lot from the performance.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I am going to get it done. Since it is already apart I might as well get everything checked so I don't have problems later. I need to get off my wallet and spend some money.
Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts