Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure most of you know a good way to get piston out, but I have seen several chewed up,this is for them.
Take one caliper off and remove the pads, take the reservoir top off you will need to add brake fluid in a bit. Get a small peace wood or plastic (don't scratch the piston) about 1 half inch thick and put it between the pistons (check fluid level and don't let it run out ) pump the piston out against the wood. Now use about a 1 quarter inch piece of wood and push the piston out to the wood. (Make sure you don't let the piston out) leave the wood in between the pistons. Now take the other caliper off and do the same thing to that one. (Check fluid) put something thinner between the pistons and push them out a little more. (Before they come all the way out they will wiggle a little, like a loose tooth ) pump them out until fluid leaks.
Now you can separate the calipers and remove the piston.
(I would do one at a time and make sure you put the pistons back in the same holes.
I hope this helps someone!!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Now you can separate the calipers and remove the piston.
Can you clarify, are you suggesting splitting the caliper every time to remove each piston or ? As you can remove the pistons without splitting. Lot of hassle to split put back split put back.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
If you don’t stop them with the wood they can get shot out and POP pretty loud. Its funny as long as you aren’t reusing them. You have to have a blower that you can feather the air a little. Or turn down the pressure on the air compressor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use compressed air. Pops em right out. Sometimes they go flying be careful.
Can you clarify, are you suggesting splitting the caliper every time to remove each piston or ? As you can remove the pistons without splitting. Lot of hassle to split put back split put back.
I don't take the piston all the way out.
I just push them out a little, you will see clearly where it is clean and where it is dirty. Clean it and lubricate it and push it back in.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
So "building calipers" is a half ass term to you?
You decided to be an expert on a site where most can tell you aren't...., and giving brake "rebuild" advice. Oy!

Only way to properly rebuild a caliper is to fully disassemble them. I promise there is gunk inside, and a build up behind the seals. Which leads to seized pistons.
They make piston removal tools.
Also a new set of seals, and crush washers all around. Is how you "rebuild" a caliper.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't take the piston all the way out.
I just push them out a little, you will see clearly where it is clean and where it is dirty. Clean it and lubricate it and push it back in.
They need to come out to clean behind the dust seal, cleaning the piston is only half the job that is required. If the dust seals are not cleaned and lubed\ greased, dirt and corrosion gets in. Pushing the dust seal tighter onto the piston restricting movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts