Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody wants to get a longer swingarm for their Busa. I'm the other way around. I'm looking for one to shorten my wheelbase by an inch or two. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of 'stupid idiot' calls from those that think by changing the "dynamics" of the ride that I'm going to make it unrideable, that I wouldnt' be able to keep the front tire on the ground.... but I don't have big bucks to buy a new bike and I'd like to make cornering slightly easier. I'm going to be doing some Mid-Ohio Track Days riding and would like to give myself a better chance of keeping up with my brothers (both of which have GSXR1000's). I read something somewhere about the possibility of using a GSXR750 swingarm, but that might have been a whole of of bull hockey. Any constructive info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i dont think u have to go that big... i think the difference between the busa and the gsxr1000 wheelbase is only like half and inch. t

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's more like 3 inches.

Hayabusa has a 58.5 inch wheelbase, while the Gsxr1000 has a 55.5 inch wheelbase. Those three inches makes a difference when it comes to going into turns (or wheelies, which I'm getting into).

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
How about jacking up the rear and dropping the front? That will make it handle better and is way cheaper

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey just put sv650 dog bones (links) on it it raises the rear about an inch. Handles much better & easier to flick side to side, & during transionns on the track. I've done it to mine with some I had made by a machinist buddie of mine, & brought mine to roeblin road in Savannah GA. Loved it. It is still a heavy bike & really not the race bike for the track like a gsxr 6/750/1k. But it felt real planted & was alot of fun. I had to work to hang with my friend in the tight stuff but coming out of the turns was awsome.
I still have one set I had made they cost me $20 if you want to try them on yours before you spend all that money for a swingarm & crap. It could save you from making your bike unridable..........pm me or let me know

·
Registered
955 Posts
Get rid of a couple of links. That will shorten the wheelbase by the link lengths and the axle will still fit in the swingarm properly. That's a good half inch.

Also, I raised the back of my 'Busa (when I had it) by 1". That made a huge difference in how fast it turned in. It was still very stable. The only other thing I did was max out the front fork preload to help limit dive. Again no problems with handling at all. In fact, it turned it from being a slouch into a much quicker handling bike.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Slo1299 said:
What about changing tire size in the rear? Maybe a 180/55/17?
i always heard that a 180 tire on the liter bikes would cause traction issues, especially when coming out of corners at WOT. if that is the case, go with a 190/55/17 and make some of the suspension suggestions posted. just my .02

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dont put a 600 arm on a busa because it isnt braced and becouse of the shorter will be more likely to wheely

the way to go is use a braced arm from a SRAD 750, its about three inches shorter than a 01 gixer onwards....and has the same brace as the BUSA.
and uses all the same running gear as the busa...1997- 1999 I run a 180 in my bike with no problems.
best of luck

I have a 2002 1000 motor in my srad and it wheelies in third due to the shorter rake and shorter swinging arm
LOTS OF FUN

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
britjoe said:
Dont put a 600 arm on a busa because it isnt braced and becouse of the shorter will be more likely to wheely

the way to go is use a braced arm from a SRAD 750, its about three inches shorter than a 01 gixer onwards....and has the same brace as the BUSA.
and uses all the same running gear as the busa...1997- 1999 I run a 180 in my bike with no problems.
best of luck

I have a 2002 1000 motor in my srad and it wheelies in third due to the shorter rake and shorter swinging arm
LOTS OF FUN
I'm guessing the 600 suggestion is referring to '04 and newer, the ones that ARE braced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts