Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of shortening the swingarm on my 92 1100. I was thinking 1". If I do this buy having a 1" section removed and then the swingarm welded back together, what if anything in the rear suspension will I have to change?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Won't have to change any parts physically, but make sure that the giu doing the welding is certified, and he uses the smae alloy that the arm is amde out of, alminum is tricky shit. You will have to lower your front though, as if you shorhten the rear it lowers, I would just try to find a 750 swing arm that you could mount that way, you could ride the bike with the shorter arm, and se if it is to your liking, if you go and chop things up and it goes wrong then...

good luck
-Karl

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KJ1,

How much will I need to lower the front? Is it just till I like the handling or it is an amount? Will I just need to raise the forks in the trees?

Didn't you put on the 750 swingarm? Do you like it? How is the handling?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yes I put on an 89 750 arm(un-braced off an old race bike) I love the way it feels. The handling is very sharp now, but it feels like it moves around a bit more, so I am trying to get a braced 94-95 arm to clear that, not to mention, my shock is toast. I ended up raising the forks in the tress about .5in to adjust for the rear, you might not need to go that much, I wanted more weight up-front.(now I am trying to put on a GSXR1000 front end) Plus you are only talking one inch I think I went more like three.

You will imediately feel the difernce in handling wiht a shorter arm. check out my pics to see where I am at with things.(posted in this forum)
-Karl

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that I will only go 1" so that I still have straight line stability. The 92 750 is 2" shorter and I want a middle groung

The big thing is finding a welder that will not fuck up the job...

I have had some things done poorly by bad welders Bad welders

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Stability, I ran it up to 130mph I seemed pretty stable. Actually talk to SKid Viscious here on the board or gohereforwelding
he seems like a cool guy we spoke on the phone and I might have them just build me a custom arm
-Karl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts