Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one very nice '85 gsxr but it's stupid expensive

This thing caught my eye because that was my first-ever brand new bike back in the day and I loved it. I used to thrash it in the turns and wheelie everywhere I went on it... stupid kid.

Anyway, holy shit, is this thing ever clean.
The seller's story is great. He's had it up over 200 and says it's smooth & straight. A little high on the KMs but they're good motors. I have a buddy who I'd ask to rebuild it back to 100% this winter.

You can tell from the youtube that it sounds good / smooth. I've gone through the whole video almost frame by frame lol. Just a few little rough spots to touch up, bar ends, master cylinder cover. Pretty impressive for an '86!

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm... I'm sure it's just a funny angle but that one weld almost looks like it's broken :scratch

Will obviously be checking on that, plus verifying that the inside of the tank is as clean as the rest of the bike.

Been a while since I bought an old pile... what else should be looking at? Any tips are appreciated. :cheers

EDIT: nah, it was just weird angle / lighting. Damn, I wish everyone took a couple of minutes to post a quick video like this. Very helpful.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
I've had 4 of these over the years as well as the 600r, 750r, GPz1100, ZX-10 and about 1/2 dozen ZX-11's.
Oops...I almost forgot about a distant cousin the 900 Eliminator I had.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
Hmmm... I'm sure it's just a funny angle but that one weld almost looks like it's broken :scratch

Will obviously be checking on that, plus verifying that the inside of the tank is as clean as the rest of the bike.

Been a while since I bought an old pile... what else should be looking at? Any tips are appreciated. :cheers

From what I recall the fuel tanks rot out at the seams from water collection.
Pretty much tanks in their own rights though!
I believe you are seeing the seam where plastic trim meets frame?

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles did you get up to on those 1000s? This one has 73K kms, or 45K miles

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
How many miles did you get up to on those 1000s? This one has 73K kms, or 45K miles

Never had them long enough to accumulate that kind of miles!
Got 1 from a friend that was used/abused but it still begged for more.
Reminds me of an Ex-girlfriend or 2...

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you notice the fuel gauge going crazy when he revved it?
Yeah, I wondered about that but the gauge appears to work... and if that got annoying, I'd just disconnect it. Gas gauges are for goldwings.

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$2K. And that's Canadian $$$. What's that, like $15-20 down there?

Imma take it. If it's a pretty, turn-key ride with no serious issues, it's a no brainer, especially given its sentimental value for me.

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
I've seen many for sale over the years and have never once been tempted because they're not worth anything, except to me for nostalgia. This one just appears to clean, all original and not a project / fixer-upper.

This is what I'm used to seeing. No thanks. :dissapointed

Classic Restored 87 GPZ1000RX Ninja | sport bikes | Belleville | Kijiji

Clean Ninja | sport bikes | London | Kijiji

Just like the Srads...No shortages of $hit boxes out there!
But a clean/unmolested one is like finding a virgin in a whorehouse!

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly.

If this is what it actually looks like upon inspection, then I'd be willing to put up with the odd silly thing that will happen.

In this condition, it's still a head-turner.. and I'll get to pretend I'm a teenager again :lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts