Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I went to start the paperwork on my bike for getting it registered. Turns out I had to track down the original owner, because the guy I bought it from, told me he bought it from some guy who bought it from another guy, and somewhere in the line the title had been lost. From what I understand I'm like the 3rd or 4th guy this bike has belonged to in the past 5 years.
So I got the original owners address from the DMV and went to track him down. I found his brother, and it turns out that the original owner died back in '00, and my damn bike is actually stolen. He was selling the bike, and some guy came and took it for a test ride and never returned the bike. Why it wasnt actually reported as stolen is beyond me. Perhaps there is more to the story.
So my bike has been ridden around for the past couple of years without registration. The last year the bike was registered was in '99... And this would account for how badly the bike was ran into the ground. I also found out yesterday that because of the wonderful state of california and its dumbass back-registration fees, it's going to cost me $400 to register the bike, that is WHEN I get ahold of the executor of the dead owners estate and IF he/she wants to sign off on it...
So... I'm pretty screwed. How is your day going?

· Registered
111 Posts
Know what you mean. I sold a car to a guy, he never transfered the title over. 6 months later I get a letter from the court house saying I owe all these fines. I look into and the guy who bought the car ran from the cops, turned a corner and ran into a parked car, which in turn the cops rounded the corner and ran into him. He got out and ran , they never caught him. I had a bill of sale with his name on it. After some legal battles, I was cleared with only a $500 fine.

Second, my buddy owns a small used car lot in Detroit. He is a big mopar guy. He drives around the city and buys big block cars. He happened across a alley with a car under a tarp. Big wing in back and huge nose cone in front. ALA 1970 Superbird, 440 4 spd car. As he takes a closer look, a lady comes out and asks if he is there to pick up the car. He ends up buying the car for $25,000 ( which should have clued him in that something wasnt right, considering its probably a $150,000 car ). Same situation, the title will be mailed to him. 3 months later a guy calls him and says he has his car. Long court battle, she sold the car to a guy 4 years earlier and he never picked it up. But he had the title, after long battles , he won the hearing , but had to pay to get the title ( another $50,000 ) Total cost was probably close to $100,000 in court court costs and purchase of the car.

Third and lastly ( though I have tons of stories like this ). I bought an original owner Trans Am 400 4spd car. The car ran and drove and when I went to look at it, I met up in a parking lot somewhere in Detroit. The deal was awesome. The guy knew nothing about the worth of the car and kept calling it his dads old beater from in the garage. I bought it, brought it home with a title and went to register it. Turns out it was his fathers car, who reported it stolen, collected insurance money and then they tried to sell the car. I lost the car and my money.

Hopefully you wont have as bad luck and will get the bike. Have they impounded the bike yet ?

· Premium Member
4,558 Posts
yeah, that really sucks man!

i had a clean and original blue/white '86 gsxr 750 stolen from my place and i am think that it is being used as a drag bike. long story and stuff. the shop (sac-cycle in rancho cordova, CA) which had my stolen fairings for sale, they had more rights than the me (the victim) and the police/detectives could not do anything about it.

good luck to ya. you are going to need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.