Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was just wondering if it is normal to hear a fairly loud "clunking noise" almost every time you shift

like is it just natually rough or am i just an idiot, and doing everything wrong..
especially 1st -2nd

thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Clunking or grinding is a bad! bad! bad sound!! You just have to learn to be smoother and quicker with the shifts. Most likely its a combination of you not disengaging your clutch enough and then being lazy with the shift. With any sportbike ya just need to pull the clutch in quick, snap your foot up, and just as quickley let the clutch back out while ya give a lil gas. Just take the time to learn your bike and you will get it like butter after a full day's ride. 1st-2nd gear may be a bit more stiff as you are shifting thru neutral, but still should be relatively smooth, Practice makes perfect my man!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hear a slight clunking noise when I shift. I know its the gear that i changed to. I also know I am shifting smoothly and correctly. Grinding is defenately bad.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Yes......... a clunk is not necessarily a bad thing. There are good and bad "clunks"! Grinding is always bad!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Clunking is fine. Every sportbike I've ridden clunked to a certain extent. Its always more of the sound of the gear engaging that an actual jerk. If it jerks, just work on your clutch - throttle timing and you'll be fine. Preloading the shifter also helps a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the sound is normal but when shifting down to 1st from 2nd let ur rpms drop beofr shifting and should be quiet and smoothe. As far as shifting up when i go to shift up i pull in the clutch and rev up a little maybe 1 rpm and then shift and theres no sound at all honest. Which then that means ur RPMS arent high enough before u shift up i know it sounds crazy like oh man this guy doesnt know how to ride but honest man it works and its the truth

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you all...
that makes me feel better..
it really isnt grinding.. its just a clunck into gear.. thanks again
ordered the yoshi today! yayaya

·
Registered
126 Posts
For really quick upshifts, switch to GP. As far as downshifts, try rev-matching. As you clutch, blip the throttle as you downshift, just get about 1.5k-2k more revs, then drop the clutch. If you have done it properly, the transmission and engine will be turning at the same RPM. And, all of this should take place in about a half a second, really quick. You shouldn't hear anything at all. Don't rev too much or you will accelerate, or too little and it will slow you inappropriately, drag the rear tire and put strain on the tranny.
This is a great skill on the track when you are trying to outbrake the guy behind you and you are already approaching the adhesion of your tires. If you drop the clutch on a low rev motor, the rear tire will lock and you will be off plane for the turn. It really helps to save the tranny too.
As for the GP shift, coming out of a left-hander under acceleration and having to shift is really easy. No more dipping the toes and "moving around" too much on the bike.
Just take time to get used to it if you do the switch.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have question posted earlier about my upshifting practices,...

I found it a lot smoother to upshift without using clutch, sure use clutch when getting it in first but, later on just get the revs litle up and shift.

I was answered that this smooth transition thru gears would not hurt the bike for tranny being synchonized.

Hope it helps u.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts