Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get a final difinative answer to the age old question about shifting...is it better to upshift and downshift with or without the clutch? Up and downshifting seems so much smoother without the clutch being used. Is this the preferred method or am I causing long term problems? My 87 750 is my daily mode of transportation and I plan to keep it for many years to come...thanks in advance...Bart

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The clutch was put there for a reason. You can shift without, but I would say use the clutch.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the clutch is there because it's easy to screw up the tranny if you botch a clutchless shift.....the clutch gives you a safety buffer.

the actual shifting action of the tranny is the same regardless of whether the clutch is used or not (since the clutch only disengages the engine from the tranny input shaft).

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
i shift clutchless ALL the time. Put 6-12,000mi a year on my bikes. I have never had one problem. Just be sure to know what your doing, or like imported Jeff said, you CAN screw up your trans.

·
The other OG
6,334 Posts
i sometimes just very partly use the clutch in downshifting depending on the situation
it goes in easier,otherwise you can bend things iff you put more than normal pressure
to force it in

·
Registered
192 Posts
i don't care how old the original post is. I still think ii's a good topic.
Lee Park recommends, in his book "Total Control" clutchless upshifting and clutched downshifting.
Clutchless upshifting is accomplished by "preloading" the shift lever with your foot using slightly less force than what is needed to engage the next gear. Then quickly roll off the throttle about 25% of it's twisting range, this "unload" the force on the transmission causing the "preloaded" shift lever to snick into gear.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
unless your full blown racing where longevity doesnt matter, I would use the clutch.
Come on guys, these are hydraulic clutches, its not like your going to get arm pump.

You should have ridden my '84 cr500 with barnett heavy springs. It would have you crying in 5 minutes

·
Registered
192 Posts
unless your full blown racing where longevity doesnt matter, I would use the clutch.
Come on guys, these are hydraulic clutches, its not like your going to get arm pump.

You should have ridden my '84 cr500 with barnett heavy springs. It would have you crying in 5 minutes
#1 my 92 gsxr 750 has a cable clutch. (Not that it matters much)

#2 the wear on the transmission is the same whether you use the clutch or not. Except under full throttle acceleration in which case it is better for the transmission if you shift clutchless. (when executed properly of course).

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
clutchless up,

Clutch down, I love the resistance on my bike. Makes it to where I rarely have to use my brakes. I probably am not doing it right but even if I match revs on the down shift it still feels jerky on my back tire

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Good read, but again it discusses it as in full blown racing.

Preloading the shifter is going to put pressure on something, like shift forks. I have seen many bent forks, worn forks and forks that show signs of heat and excessive wear. Of course these were all on other bikes since I have not opened up my gixxers engine.

I see no problem with clutchless shifting when track riding/racing but for the average Joe that just likes to ride or his bike is a commuter, I would advise against this tatic.

I would rather change a clutch then deal with shifter internals.

Its your bike, do want you want. However I feel I my point of view is valid.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've been doing this type of shifting (clutchless up and clutch down) for a lot of years and never once had a shifter related failure .... I never read any articles, I just figured it out ... it made sence to me ...
I think that sounds so cool when I do take off a little on the hot side and rip it to about 7500 (by ear) in between shifts, into 4th gear ... and then
I'm just ... G O N E ..

I had a bunch of "PIGS" (aka .. HOGS) pull up next to me yesterday ...
He goes ... "DEWD, nice license plate (sarcasim).... (RRRICE) ...
and, HOW DO YOU SHIFT SO FAST ... DO YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF POWER SHIFTER THING ON THERE ?"
I tried to explain to him what I was doing but he didn't understand ... I figured that since they all just pulled out of a bar, they were probably sloshed anyway ... hence the inability to comprehend ...

DOBERDEWD

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
one thing stikes me about all this discussion is that we are all on suzuki's which have the sweetest gear changes anyway :blink

normal riding i do clutchless shifts up the box without preloading the shifter, if i'm in a hurry i'll upshift with preload :biggrin

clutch for down shift, gearboxes cope with a lot of loading but backlash on downshift should be kept to minimum not only to save the gearbox but the primary reduction gear on the crank too.
you would not normally stick a car in reverse while going forwards, downshifts reverse the loading.

just my 2 cents or should that be pence :lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts