Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some times when I'm approaching a light that's red I will put the bike in neutral and coast up. If the light changes while I'm still rolling and pull the clutch in and go to put it back in gear it hurts real bad. If I go to first it hits real hard and second grinds. Is this fairly common? I have about 3/4" play in the clutch lever and the adjuster bolt is almost all the way out, so I think I need to adjust it. It happened to my friend last night on his 01 750, so I'm thinking maybe it's a driver error. Should I double clutch it or something.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
sounds normal to me i usually blip the throttle, another higher gear, or blip throttle till it find its slot in gear

G

·
doing what you are doing.....i usually never put it back into first as it usually ends in a grind and back into neutral or a gawd awful grind into gear.....i would only try to put it back into first if it looked as though i am nearly stopped....any faster than that i'd pop it back into second, from which it is happy to do so

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
yeah you can atleast i can on mines like clutchless shift

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by audi1031:
yeah you can atleast i can on mines like clutchless shift
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i agree.. with the exception of taking off from a dead stop i really dont need to use the clutch.
as for coasting in nuetral then putting it in gear never wise to drop it the next lower gear...
i dont like to coast in neutral myself id rather downshift and let the motor do the stopping...

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Roling to a stop in N and then trying to put it in gear before you stop is REALLY bad... It is going to wear the dogs down on your tranny and then you will not be able to keep the tranny in gear. you will get miss shifts. and all kinds of other problems...

Bottom line, if you want your tranny to last, use the gears till your stopped...

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
It is going to wear the dogs down on your tranny and then you will not be able to keep the tranny in gear.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not trying to be an ass. Did you mean "cogs" or "dogs"? I have never seen the tranny internals on a bike. Are there dog boxes on the gixxer? As far as dog eared gearsets?

I put this in another thread, but I will ask hear too. In the other thread you said bikes don't synchros. On cars the synchros require friction to speed match the gears and the bearings need lubrication. Are there any internal conflicts in a bike's tranny? Can you just throw the slickest tranny fluid in there?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I ment dogs..

The dogs are what lock the gears into each other... and the grinding you feel when you miss a gear is not the teeth, it is the dogs. When the dogs get rounded off they dont lock in as well and could cause the gear to "jump" out or miss.

Check the other post for your oil comment.

John

·
Registered
187 Posts
Freak you said it all. leave it in gear untill you're stopped.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
well, if bikes are like cars, 1st gear doesn't have a syncro-mesh. Which basically syncronizes the moving gears so they don't catch the teeth hard. It's not good to drop it into first if you are hearing a clunk like sound.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Bikes dont have syncros AT ALL... No GEARS...

Bikes have something called constant mesh. The grinding you hear/feel is the DOGS on the side of the gears.. It isnt good for them and there is no way to stop it unless you rev the motor up the same speed that it would be at if you had the clutch out in that gear.. IE if you at doing 20 MPH and the tach is at say 4K rpm. If you are roling in N then you would need to rev the motor up to 4K before you put it in first gear so that is would not grind.

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
yeah, John is completely right about that. You don't ever want to shift all the way down to first gear upon slowing down. Second gear can get you all the way down to a few miles per hour safely and then it's not too hard on your brakes to do the rest, or more really. Save yourself a lot of heart ache and money in saving your DOGS. Hey... that sort of sounds like Bob Barker... Don't for get to Spey your DOGS! lol *kidding*

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I use first gear all the time to slow down.. You just have to make sure that you burp the gas before you do it or it has a good chance of grinding the DOGS.

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
You know... I just love that term...! "Burp the Gas..." LMAO Call it childish.. but it just sounds funny.

Thanks John!

"Toss me another beer before I downshift!"

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
dont forget to make sure that your dogs get their yearly maintanence....eg: rabies vacc. etc.......LOLOL

John is the man...and correct here. I stay away from first as much as possible when down shifting under speeds; unless im doin a lazy, slow, very controlled downshift where im rollin slowly. Second does a very good job alone.....

I too blip the throttle b/w downshifts.....not bcause it sounds cool, but it helps the tranny find its spots way easier...

blip or burp, and you'll be okay.

scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts