Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody having a problem getting the shift light to work? I've read the manual over & over and tried to get the menu for the shift light & RPM set to come up on the gauges about 10 different ways with no luck.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
i had no problem setting mine...

hold the bottom button, turn the key on. then press the top botton till you get either the flash or the solid light, then press the bottom button again, you will get the light brightness, set that with the top botton, then press the bottom again, and the tach will go to 7k. use the top button to set the rpms you want it to come on at, and then the bottom button again to finalize it, and your done.

i set mine at 7.5k for break in, and i have it at 12k now till 1k. i havent had any problems with setting it either times..

hope that helps..

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Just curious as to why you need a shift light. Is it that much harder to look at the tach? I just think it useless unless your a new rider.
Why look at the tach when thats a bright light? then you can shift on the fly.... Heads up is way better

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'll try it. The reason for shift light is after youve dyno tuned your motor you'll know exactly when the power starts to drop off and you can set the light to go on right befor your making maxium HP theres no reason to bring it to red line if power drops off befor and on most bikes it dose. This is really only ness. at the race track.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks I'll try it. The reason for shift light is after youve dyno tuned your motor you'll know exactly when the power starts to drop off and you can set the light to go on right befor your making maxium HP theres no reason to bring it to red line if power drops off befor and on most bikes it dose. This is really only ness. at the race track.
Is your max HP the same in every gear? An experienced rider shouldn't be taking their bike to the redline.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Exactly, won't pop for my own dyno run but I will wait for one of the mags to runa dyno chart and go off of that.

Under200

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
egh.. its just a light. i use it to let me know roughly where im at for break in while im riding. its there, why not use it? when its done with break in, ill probably just set it at redline.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've heard the arguements with cars as well. Some say it's a reaction time aid for us "visual" learners, some say it's a good warning. some say it's the idiot light, etc...

My 2 cents, listen and feel more then look once you know the bike or cage. Personally, i say do what you like, but hey if they put it there, someone got paid to research it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts