Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know, I just FINALY got my Limited Edition back in here (canada) and my break in is kinda completed, I want to set the Shift Light, what is your recommendation for it? 13000?, 12750? or 13250?... I guess there is no need to set it to 13500.. But just give me a few example and why you go with this setup..

BTW: Mirrors Sucks, the rest is just the nicest bike I ever been on, it is just UNBELIVEABLE... There is nothing to compare, and I got a Busa as well.. And its just incredible in first gear around 110 Km at 9000rpm and just turn it.. Powerband is very very nice!!!

So thanks for your inputs!:)

·
Registered
961 Posts
My one is set to 5500rpm. The reason is we lose our licence on the spot for at least a month when going faster than 150 km/h. I connected a tiny relay switch to the shift light that cuts the ignition when hitting 5500 rpm. I absolutely cannot afford to lose my licence. I lost it before and don't want to go through that ever again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i set mine anywere from 12500 in the day light and 13000 at night. that way it gives me a heads up its time to shift in about 1 sec

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Just wanted to know, I just FINALY got my Limited Edition back in here (canada) and my break in is kinda completed, I want to set the Shift Light, what is your recommendation for it? 13000?, 12750? or 13250?... I guess there is no need to set it to 13500.. But just give me a few example and why you go with this setup..

BTW: Mirrors Sucks, the rest is just the nicest bike I ever been on, it is just UNBELIVEABLE... There is nothing to compare, and I got a Busa as well.. And its just incredible in first gear around 110 Km at 9000rpm and just turn it.. Powerband is very very nice!!!

So thanks for your inputs!:)
You feel it and noticed too! Congrats and enjoy! I've said it before, the K5 is simply the best sportbike built to date and it has to be experienced in person.

I started my shift light patterns along the lines of how I broke-in the bike. Now that the bike is complete I have set the shift light at 13,250 rpm so I can have free rev time after the power charge (torque) about 9,500 rpm or so. When the initial torque starts to fade the horsepower continues just before the limiter cuts off. Feels like the bike makes power all the way too redline. It is intense!

If you don't want to waste time before a shift where the horsepower fades away then set it up around 11,500 rpm or so. Just depends on the track or course your riding in and how you want your shifts to be with timing and position to the course.

I noticed the shift light can be programmed to 13,750 which was interesting since the rev limit is 13,500 rpm. Maybe to account for the inaccuracy of the step motor driven tach to actual motor rpm.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
My one is set to 5500rpm. The reason is we lose our licence on the spot for at least a month when going faster than 150 km/h. I connected a tiny relay switch to the shift light that cuts the ignition when hitting 5500 rpm. I absolutely cannot afford to lose my licence. I lost it before and don't want to go through that ever again.
where are you from Singapore? lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
set mine at 11,250 because the only dyno chart i have seen on this bike (stock) said max hp was at 11,500
It still pulls after 11.5 right? Haven't gotten there yet but will soon. Highest I've 'seen' is 11k and the fucker pulls like a freight train.

After break in is complete I'll set it at 12-12.5 till I get to a dyno. Once the slip on and pc3usb are on it I'll see where it's making the most power and go from there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
mine pulls all the way till i shift so it seems but dyno dont lie so i guess its everyones own take on things. i guess if i was racing someone looking at the dyno i would want to shift somewere arount 12500. true the dyno says max hp at 11,500 but when you shift that will put you closer to your max hp. it pulls nicely till 12500. thats just my 2 cents

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm set around 12,750 or 13,000

Very Rarely do I even make it that far though. I'm usually short shifting the bike
Yeah I short shift much too much myself. I was riding with a buddy (he's got a '00 CBR 600F4). His 600 is actually very quick for it's age, but he's got it set up just right. Anyway, even during break in where I was keeping it below 9k on accel and taking it easy, I noticed that he was struggling pretty hard to keep up. Haven't been to 12.5, 13, or 13.5 yet but it should get interesting

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Don't forget to factor in reaction time. Most people can see a need for a shift and shift in 3/4 of a second. On the ball and you get under 1/2 a second. Think how many more revs you get by the time 1/2 a second goes by and set the light for that.

Mine set to blink as well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Don't forget to factor in reaction time. Most people can see a need for a shift and shift in 3/4 of a second. On the ball and you get under 1/2 a second. Think how many more revs you get by the time 1/2 a second goes by and set the light for that.

Mine set to blink as well.
Been meaning to ask (since I have't seen the shift light come on yet, waiting for break in to be completed before setting it);

What's the difference between the blink and on modes? Does one setting just blink when it's time to shift and the other stays on until you actually do shift? Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Been meaning to ask (since I have't seen the shift light come on yet, waiting for break in to be completed before setting it);

What's the difference between the blink and on modes? Does one setting just blink when it's time to shift and the other stays on until you actually do shift? Thanks.
I wouldn't put too much faith in the shift light anyway....it's pretty damn hard to see during the day and I mostly shift by feel anyway. I think teh shift light is more of a 'Whiz Bang', "Look I have a shift light" accesory than anything.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wouldn't put too much faith in the shift light anyway....it's pretty damn hard to see during the day and I mostly shift by feel anyway. I think teh shift light is more of a 'Whiz Bang', "Look I have a shift light" accesory than anything.

Just my thoughts
I hear you, it's just that I've never had a shift light before on any of my bikes so it's just going to be a fun new thing to play with, who knows if I'll pay any attention to it but as long as it's there, no harm in setting it up.

Still curious as to the blink vs. non blink thing..?

·
Registered
174 Posts

Just my thoughts
I hear you, it's just that I've never had a shift light before on any of my bikes so it's just going to be a fun new thing to play with, who knows if I'll pay any attention to it but as long as it's there, no harm in setting it up.

one blinks when you hit your RPM the other is a stead light that comes on

·
Registered
334 Posts

You can set it up to come on 'Solid' or you can have it 'Flash' once you go beyond your choice of shift points.

Solid it will light up and stay lit as long as you're beyond your designated point

Flashing it will flash as long as you're beyond your designated point

Totally personal preference with this one

·
Registered
382 Posts
You can set it up to come on 'Solid' or you can have it 'Flash' once you go beyond your choice of shift points.

Solid it will light up and stay lit as long as you're beyond your designated point

Flashing it will flash as long as you're beyond your designated point

Totally personal preference with this one
I see, good info, that clears things up. Best scenario (for those that use the shift light feature) would probably be to have it flash during daytime (might be easier to spot?) and stay solid at night. But hey who am I to be picky? I just love the bike, all this gadgetry is just a bonus

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.