Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey family. 07 gsxr 750. Here's what I have at the moment. Been having issues with my charging system for the past year or so. Ive posted about it before if you're curious. I thought I finally got everything all solved. Went out for about 100 mile ride a few days ago. Came home to grab some stuff before heading back out, battery was pretty much dead. Wouldnt start. Thought ok, battery probably just went to shit bc of overcharging reg rec issue before. Whatever. Shitty.

Went to go get the warranty honored on it today. Had it on the charger. Put it in bike to see how the reg rec was holding up before I went to the dealership with battery. Started bike. Heard a bunch of grinding and metal getting ripped around from the motor. Shit once again.

Pulled the stator cover and found one of the fly wheel bolts was sheared off and ground up my stator. (Picture of the flywheel is after I started taking the bolts out) the 5 other bolts were not tight AT ALL. Does anyone have a reason for this? How or why 1 bolt would shear like that? Also, what do I need to do to clean out the motor to make sure no wire or shards of metal got sucked into the engine compartment? Am I going to have to take the whole thing apart??

Attachments

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
All of those bolts should have been torqued WITH blue thread lock. That bolt probably loosened and knackered itself on the stator. If you paid a pro to put this in, they need to make this right.

You don't NEED to split the cases. Look for bits, reassemble, change the oil and look at the drain plug. Keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of those bolts should have been torqued WITH blue thread lock. That bolt probably loosened and knackered itself on the stator. If you paid a pro to put this in, they need to make this right.

You don't NEED to split the cases. Look for bits, reassemble, change the oil and look at the drain plug. Keep an eye on it.
None of them had any signs of lock tight. I've never had any work done to it previously or done anything myself to the rotor. I drained the oil and dropped the oil pan. Found more in the pan then I wanted to. I couldnt see anything up in the engine as far as debris from the stator.

I was thinking once I got it all put back together to run it for 100-150 miles softly, than redrain oil and see.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
Dude, I am sorry but I can't tell you what I would do. I wold have to consider the entire history I know of the bike to make the decision. From what you post, I see a sudden catastrophic failure so I wouldn't assess this as a long-term issue. That being said, I would like to know if that is just a sheared head, or did the bolt come all the way out? I can't tell from the pics.

The good news is that replacement engines are cheap AF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts