Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this topic posted before, but I never really looked into it until now. I just tried to search and there's a whole lot of nothing that comes up about the topic. I'll eventually be cutting down my seat on my 01' 750. I lowered it approx 2 inches when I first got it (I have a slight height disadvantage) and would like to raise it back up. Cutting the seat down will hopefully keep it at or near the same height level so I can still touch comfortably. My question is how/what portions of the seat are actually cut down? The back portion and sides are thin areas to begin with, and if those are cut down it seems like the plastic would rub/cut through and rub against your legs. It seems that the main part to take foam off of would be the middle section of the seat. The only problem seems to be that the seat would slope forward and/or have a dip in the middle of it. I took the seat to an upholster and they noted the same thing(s) that I mentioned above. I'd like to cut it down at least an inch or two, but don't want to sacrifice to much comfort. Any info on how to perform this is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So nobody has ever performed this? I highly doubt that. I've read a lot of posts that mention shaving the seat down, but never one that thoroughly explains how they perform it. Any info on doing this is appreciated.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
uh.. ride a honda then come back and ride on it with no foam.

i don't understand.. just lean the bike and catch it with your outside foot... drop your hips over. i watched a 5'2" chick do it w/o a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I know what you mean, I do it all the time. It's just that extra inch or so when you need it the most. For example, when one side of the pavement is steeper than the other side. If you lean to the lower part, and don't catch yourself right, you're going to go down. I saw a guy on his Goldwing do this (bike landed on him)! Anyways, I'm not saying I can't drop to one side, or that it's wrong to do it. I just prefer touching a little better than that. Tippy-toeing isn't enough for me.

Shortround thanks for the link.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
dude fell off his goldwing? is it that far over wow!

i can see the pavement issue sure.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I cut the seat down on my '04 Gix 1k. Followed the instructions in the Motorcyclist article. Worked ok, but was a pain in the ass and made a huge mess with all the foam powder from cutting, etc.

I wouldn't do it again. I'd just buy an aftermarket seat.

·
Registered
348 Posts
didnt read the full thing, but perhaps if you talk the the upholsterer about getting a custom/gel insert across the saddle, especially on the "thin" bits, that way you still get good compressed padding without worrying about compressing the thin foam down enough to hit plastic.

Mate of mine has a wheelchair and has a custom gel-seat made as he's in the thing all day. fricking comfortable. I've even bought a gel seat for my pushy, all i have to do is fit it now, i've had it over 12 months now :eek: oops...

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah gimpsta, I felt bad when I saw what had happened to the guy on the Wing, but what I said about the pavement issue is exactly what had happened to him. Took 5 full grown men to pick it back up (the proper way to prevent the bike from sliding on the fairings). It was over the whole way! Anyways just thought I'd add some more details about that story.

I did think about getting some kind of gel insert, but I'm not quite sure yet. I remember reading one post that the person took all the foam off and just put 1/2 inch carpet matting on for the foam! I don't know about that. It sounded pretty nuts and very uncomfortable. Though the newer CBR's have seats hard as a piece of wood! I'm still debating which side will be the better way to perform this (top or bottom)? My biggest fear is messing the whole thing up or ending up with a lop-sided seat. Maybe I'll end up just taking it to the upholser. Who knows, lol.

I sat on some of the new(er) Gixxers and I can touch pretty good. The 06's are no problem (a lot closer to flatfooting than on mine). I believe a lot of it is from the seat on mine being the shape it is. The width of the seat takes a lot of that vertical height away. I'm 5'6 with like a 30" inseam I believe. I'll hopefully be cutting the seat in the next day or so. I bought another seat to perform this with so I'll still have to stock seat if I ever decided I want it back on/ever sell my bike. Thanks for all the info and replies guys. Very helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I just raised the bike back up to stock. It's alright for now. I'm on the balls of my feet. I have Diamond Powersports lowering links. Are the stock dogbones stronger, just curious? Also how accurate are the Diamond P's in length to the stockers? I need to find mine, but until then I thought I'd ask on here. I got my seat today and will hopefully find a way on how to cut it. Will a regular heavy duty stape gun work ok? I wasn't sure if it would be adequate or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have fun doing the seat. I bought an extra seat, also....just in case. It's really not that bad to do. I used an electric staple gun, and even that had difficulty driving the staples into the seat base - perhaps half of the staples are partially driven in.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, that must be some rock-solid plastic, lol. I'm taking my seat to a local upholster tomorrow and see what she can do for me. How much did you take off bootsy? Do you notice the comfort/height difference a lot when you ride. Reason I'm asking is since I raised mine back up I've rode it all day today w/the stock seat, and it seems good (comfort/height level on seat while riding). I still want to take an inch or so off the seat though, but not sure how it'll be. Thanks again for all the info.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
bootsy said:
Have fun doing the seat. I bought an extra seat, also....just in case. It's really not that bad to do. I used an electric staple gun, and even that had difficulty driving the staples into the seat base - perhaps half of the staples are partially driven in.
Ditto. I have an electric (powerful) staple gun, and still had hell getting the staples into that kryptonite plastic. Many would go halfway in, or bend and not go in at all, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.