1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright you old skool freaks.
Need some tech. advice..AGAIN.
Here's my question.

In my carbs, on the diaphram & piston valve where the jet needle sits there is (1) hole for the jet needle AND (2) other holes..(1) on each side.
On 3 of the 4 carbs one of the holes has a block screw in it. One of the carbs doesn't. Why?
Is this normal or is it the reason for the bike running like the choke's on or it's getting too much fuel??

I thought one of the floats had stuck last month and thought a good cleaning would fix the problem.
After the cleaning, the bike (with new plugs cranked right up, but still ran shitty in low range but at high rpm's things seemed to even out. Almost like to choke was still on. There was a strong smell of fuel also..This time I did find one of the float bowl covers leaking & fixed that.
I still haven't gotten it back to normal yet.

Anyone??

[ 01-17-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: spike52 ]

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That plug is most likely from a jet kit. There shouldn't be a missing plug, so I'd guess you should buy a jet kit anyway and replace the whole thing.

A rich condition, like fastcat said, is most likely caused by worn emulsion tubes and /or needles. A dynojet kit contains all these parts...

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks skinny!!

Okay..
In looking at the manual under DIAPHRAGM & PISTON OPERATION I found:

"Negative pressure is admitted into the diaphragm chamber through two orifices provided in the piston valve"

This is what I'm referring to.
I guess an easier question is...

When the carbs are jetted, because of let's say a full after market exhaust, is 1 of these "orifices" blocked with a plug to compensate for the new exhaust??

[ 01-18-2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: spike52 ]

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BAm..TTT

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just checked a set of carbs of an 89 750K i have lying around which has a jet kit installed,All 4 of the carb slides have one of the holes blocked by a blanker and the other hole is fitted with a smaller jet,maybe on your model they just go with the blanker plugs, you should be able to tell if the one without has lost its plug because the hole has to be tapped to fit the jet so will have a thread

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok..
Thanks!!!
Both holes have threads either by design or aftermarket work.
I gotta figure this was my problem.
The emulsion tubes or getting oblong too, so they are going too.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
You can check install instructions at the dynjet webpage. The holes are not threaded from the factory. You do have a missing plug ;-)

However, a single plug is used for 'bettter acceleration' according to dynojet...

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flaco I checked their site & found what you said.
I took off one of the bowls and found a small gold-colored tube about 1/4" long in it.
In checking the other floats I found this tube came from the plastic float itself.
It fits in the side-bottom of the tube between the floats thats has the rubber o-ring on it & holds the float assembly in the carb.
There are no threads on the tube & it just pushed in and stayed.

Flaco, I also adjusted the fuel measurement screws to Dynojet spec's. Now I'm hoping they will send me a few of the plug screws for free.

Thanks guys..

spike52

·
Registered
539 Posts
Also check to see what needles youve got the Dynojet kit ones usually have a different taper to stock maybe even a stepped design as opposed to a smooth taper.Like flaco said the slides wont be threaded from the factory.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Make sure also to get emulsion-tubes taht match your needles... DJ needles and main-jets only work with DJ emulsion-tubes... factory-pro kits use regular mikuni main jets and OEM emulsion-tubes.

Chances are that you have a DJ kit as they are the ones that include the threaded plugs in the kit... the factory-pro kit just gives instructions to block-off one hole with epoxy.

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where can I get new emulsion tubes & needle valves??
Bike bandit wants $20 a tube..
Will dyno carry these??

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I *believe* dynojet carries emulsion-tubes...

--------BEWARE---------
Dynojet tubes are NOT the same as OEM. You *must* use the right tubes that match your kit. If your kit is DJ then you *have* to get the emulsion-tubes from DJ.

Factory-Pro kits use the OEM tubes, and they are available from RonAyers for about $13ea. if memory serves... I know of no source that's less-expensive. If you have a DJ kit, CALL DJ. If you need the OEM tubes, give Chip at Ron Ayers a call.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
DJ kits does have the emulsion tubes, needles, main jets, and the plug you are missing.

Check ebay often... There was a 89-92 gsxr1100 DJ kit that sold for $40 yesterday... You *won't* find anything cheaper than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts