Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal guys...

my race tire sponsors (meaning the faster racers who give me their take-off tires) have made the mandatory switch from pilot races (s2, m2) to the new pilot powers.

the way things are looking now - I'm going to have to switch to powers for my upcoming race weekend the first week of june. thing is - the only time I'll have on them, before my races, will be 2 practice sessions in the morning

normally I'd figure this out myself - but considering I'm going to have pretty much zero time on these tires before race-day, I'm looking for some baseline info on what changes you made to make these tires handle, so...

If you've switched from pilots to powers, and feel that you've developed a good setup, could you tell me what changes you made in ride height, and damping.

thanks!

Jody

· Registered
1,940 Posts
wish i could help you but i made the switch of bikes too at the same time so i have no clue
all i know is that the rear is taller and the front is shorter on the new michelins
you can always call walt or frank and they will give you exact calculations on what to do.
just make sure your tire pressure is 22r and 33f
and let me know how you like/dislike the new tires

· Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Re: setup recommendations needed - pilot race to pilot power

Whoa... Are you switcing from Pilot Race (race tire) to Power Race (race tire), or to Pilot Power (high end street tire)? Just wondering.

Anyway the setups for either of the new "powers" are the same, but I was just curious. I am racing on the Pilot Power (high end street tire) right now since it's essentially an entry-level race DOT that doesn't need warmers, and costs a lot less.

· Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

pb... I'm switching from dot race tire to dot race tire.. from what was usually an s2/m2 combo to the pilot power races (unsure what I'm getting compound-wise in them, but they are races).

sanee - will do man. I'm pumped about trying the new tires, but honestly... I wish I had a few sets of old pilot lying around. I loved those tires. Maybe I'm afraid of change - but they worked bitchin' for me... I can't see how the powers could be any better

· Premium Member
1,890 Posts

The new powers are *insane*. You will like them.

· Registered
1,940 Posts

i will not comment on the tire just yet
dont listen to anyones comment just yet and go out and ride em.
when you are done post up or pm me and let me know
i'll give you some info on em and what not
but definitely make sure about those tire pressures i gave you.
enjoy

· Registered
89 Posts

i first went out on the new powers with the same settings for the S2/M2 and the steering was too quick. I raised the front by lowering the forks from 10mm showing about the top clamp to 6mm showing and I lowered the rear by 4mm (334mm on the Penske shock). It felt much better. Currently running 30psi front and 21psi rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.