Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This one's more for the techheads amongst you, but if you want to throw in your two cents... knock yourself out!

A friend of mine has just built up a very nice looking streetfighter based around an 89 1100 K. The engine (bore and stoke) has been left standard, but he's gone to town on everything else, eg. Stage 3 dynojet kit (standard 36mm carbs), clamp-on K&N filters, Dyna coils, taylor leads, Factory ignition advancer and a full race exhaust (not sure of the make).

The dude in question rang me yesterday and said he'd had it dyno'd and it was pumping out nearly 170 Bhp at the crank!!!!

Now I've been looking at a full on 1216 big bore kit with race cams, ported head etc and the company advertises that as putting out a reliable 130+ rwbhp!

I've said to him that the dyno was wrong or he's "pulling my wire".

What's the general concensus on this? I say the most his mods will give is around 15 - 20% increase. How 'bout you guys?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
That would put him at roughly 150-155 at the rear wheel.He would need at least a 1216,30/26mm head,12:1 compression,cams,etc.Maybe he did a big-bore and just ain't tellin ya!
89750stockblockboredto1371youcanttellhaahaaa!

[ 03-21-2002, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: oldgixxer ]

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe he was watching someone else's bike being Dyno'd!!!! ha ha ha
He's full of shit!!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
FWIW the 1216 in my B12 pulled right at 150rwhp with 10.8:1 CR, mild headwork, both GSXR cams, RS38's, and a V&H 4:1... it was a bit fat, probably had another pony or two in it.

Ed

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
a dyno operator can make a dyno read whatever he wants.....with a correction factor of 2.00 my bone stock 750 makes over 240rwhp!

throwing a hp number around doesn't mean anything....show me a dyno chart with complete info and i'd be more likely to believe it.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by jeff:
a dyno operator can make a dyno read whatever he wants.....with a correction factor of 2.00 my bone stock 750 makes over 240rwhp!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow jeff... that sure sounds a lot easier than spending all that money on expensive engine mods... look out, 300hp on the way! ROFL

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
some 'tuners' fudge correction factors to make themselves look good after mods they've done....the sad thing is, many people wouldn't know any better - they're just happy to see higher numbers on a dyno chart. just something to keep in mind....

p.s. be wary of correction factors that vary by more than around ±7%.....i.e. if the correction factor is less than 0.93 or more than 1.07, dyno the bike again when ambient conditions don't require more than ±7%. you'll get more accurate and valid results.

[ 03-21-2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yaeh, sounds like either your friend or this tuner are Full Of Shit
-Karl

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
MrTris,that is a SWEET '90.One of my favorite color schemes.That and the blue/white '86.Keep her lookin' nice for me,please!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
was he drunk at the time?
lol
Standard well set up 1100K's will push 120-132 rwbhp.
To get 150 you will need all of what you have said and a bore of 1186 or 1216 and a gas flowed head.

I think that he is in a dream world
...............probably the best thing to do is to pass him on the road to prove it.

[ 03-22-2002, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Andy James ]

·
Registered
360 Posts
First, I'm new to this board and it looks cool.

As for horsepower, it all depends how much money you throw at it. I have dyno charts from yosh 10 years ago when I had my bike done... 153hp out of a 750. Then add some button and things got all out of control.

Anyways I need a exploided veiw of 1991 forks. Any body have one? thanks,

Yosh

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Hey, come on...is nobody gonna rock with that "..at the crankshaft" bit. What kind of dyno is the poor fudd being tuned on. Sounds like the kid is being fed a lot of drool, unfortunately. Get him to a 'neutral' dyno (Rhino anywhere near you guys?) and see what the actual reading is.

Speaking of 153bhp Yosh 750s - Yosh invented drool (Yosh USA, that is).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts