Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of new to racing but I've been riding for a while and have done a decent amount of trackdays and schools. I rode an RC51 for the last year on the street and some track days. I sold that and bought an 03 R6 racebike with stock suspension about three months go. The R6 feels so light and easy to ride. I keep getting faster every time I ride it. Last time I went to jennings it was the first time I reached a plateu in my riding. I finally reached a point where I was stuck on the same second. I was running low 126's all day. I mananaged to drop down to 25's towards the end of the day but I definitly was working for it. My question as a new racer is when are you sure that you are ready for aftermarkert suspension. I know it's better to have but I almost have to choose between that or being able to afford to race and buy new tires. I really don't know weather to keep my stock suspension and race and get good tires or sit out a couple of races save my money and get some good suspension. I finished top 5 in every race I entered last time and I beat alot of guys with the best suspension money can buy. I want to be safe out there and I would rather spend the money on a rear shock than my medical bills. I still feel sometimes that the bike is more capable than I am and that if you are a talented smooth rider that is better than any money can buy. Could you guys please give me some advise. If I do decide on the suspension, where is the best place to buy a penske shock. I heard you can get them really cheap from LP priveteer program. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
sounds like your running at a pretty good pace. id say your ready for good suspension.. how much do you weigh? either way id say its time to get some work done.. your best bet for a penske shock is from lp. and you should get your forks done by whoever will offer you the best support. id take it you live down south? so your best options are gmd, traxxion, or thermosman.. people have had good results with everyone, so its your call. id call those guys up and see who can offer you the most for your money.

investing in good suspension is a lot cheaper than fixing a waxed bike cause you had no front end feel at 120mph coming from the front end..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise. Does anybody know how much a triple clicker is from LP. How much do you save if you join the lp priveteer. I weigh around 155. I'm trying to stay light. I've been thinking and I should probably just spend the money and get it over with. Last time at the track I was starting to spin the rear wheel coming out of a couple of corners, that was a lot of fun. Scary but fun. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
ild say if you can swing it do the suspension . if not do what you can , maybe a spring swap on the rear and the forks done this year then when you get the $ buy a shock but im 1 of those people that say if its suspension $ or $ to race ild rather spend the $ to race ....

a bike with all the latest and greatest does you ABSOLUTLY no good in the garage !!!!

guy a
ya check my bike out i got a penske triple , slipper clutch , ohlins RT forks , fully computracked , ohlins damper , vortex this and that , all this other great shit

guy b
wheres it at ?

guy a
at home in the garage cause i cant afford to race it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kind of where I'm at. The only thing is I don't know how safe it is for me with the stock suspension anymore and I don't really want to find out the limit of my suspension accelerating out of a 120 mph corner or high siding bad. It's funny because some guys I talk to after the race can't believe I'm on stock suspension but to me the rider is always the most important component on the bike. Anybody know the cheapest place to get a penske rear shock? Anybody know the exact price you can get it if you join LP program? Thanks, Mark

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
at least get your forks done, and rear shock rebuilt.. you dont need to run a triple penske at the moment.. at most a double clicker.. or, if you can get your sag set on the rear stick with the stocker for now, but at least get your forks done.. they are more important than a shock when it comes down to either one or the other..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts