Papa Johns Diaper Service...
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ladies, this sun is looking awesome and this will be the last sun run
in sept, lol. We are planning on hitting some awesome back roads to
NYST(New York Safety Track). We will meet at the circle at 9 am and
the kickstands will be up at 930 am sharp! I am guessing the ride there
will take 2 hrs or less on the bikes. I have driven there several times for
track days and have always wanted to hit the roads going there on a bike.
The pace on the unfamiliar roads will be relaxed since none of us have
ridden there and of course on the roads we know we can "enjoy" them at
our usual pace.:shifty. For anybody new planning on coming out don't
worry you won't get left behind, we wait at every stop sign, light and turn!

So post up if you are planning on coming out so we have a head count.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Have a fun&safe ride everyone...I will try to attend the next one

·
Registered
252 Posts
I know my way through those back roads like the back of my hand. I used to go to school in oneonta, nd lived up there for 6 yrs. Only thing we need to worry about is drunk rednecks, nd high college kids on the road.

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are going up a different way Jayski, heading up route 28a to 28 to
Route 42 to 23a to 23. These back roads are very lite with traffic or cars
in general.:punk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yup past Hunter mountain. lets make sure everyone gases up. There is no gas station for a good 30 miles past hunter. Just dead. Not really a place to even stop. Im def down though. I wanna ride so bad. Very rusty so im gonna hang back some.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just saw the weather for up there. Gonna be sunny but only a high of 52. winds 19mph. Guess im gonna dress warm and bring a backpack incase its way to warm.

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the weather at the track, NYST, it says sunny and a high of 66!!!!
I honestly wish I would be riding on the track but a ride up there will have to
do, lol!:biggrin

·
Reporting live from Fox 5 News
840 Posts
66 huh.. I'm contemplating between leather and textile. i know john rocks textile with no issues, any ideas?
figured since the relaxed pace, more north, also colder up there, plus more comfy since more miles..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Im gonna put on my textile jacket, jeans, and obviously boots. Not sure if im gonna put long sleeves on or not. Gonna be cold in the morn but after i know its gonna be hot.

·
840 Posts
Oh man what a ride..
I got home at 7:45 pm

It was me and John, all by ourselves. We rode some of our familiar roads, visited Ernie on the way, and took the twisty tight roads up to NYST, we got there around 12:45. we ate sandwiches track-side, yum!
Billy met us and immediately offered me to ride the track while being towed by a coach.
Gave me some leathers, and off I was. i was wearing short boots, modular helmet and leathers 4 sizes too big, Big Bertha wore continental conti motion tires (cheap touring tires) street pressures (36, 39) and all of 800 lbs of us went out on the tight and twisty NYST. What a blast.. both tires and the bike did well, I almost shit my pants a couple times.. but came off the track smiling and in one piece.
loved the track, all blind, narrow and super twisty, super fun track..

the ride back was less eventful, tons of traffic on 87 and 9w, second lunch at subway and a dark ride on palisades with tons of idiots who don't know where they are going..

Thanks John and Billy from TPM for making this Sunday one to remember.. I owe you both some beers.

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was my pleasure my brother, it was such a nice day with perfect temps.
The morning started off foggy as hell, I am glad it all burned off. The ride
Up was awesome, some very tight twisty back roads with very few cars.
Big up to Bill Sink at TPM, he is the man. I was hoping to get there before
lunch so Alex could get a few laps on the track during TPMs try the crack, I
mean track, lol. It was well after one, so Mr Bill let Alex do a whole free session
and even gave him free leathers. Now that's customer service.
The ride back was fine until we hit the thruway, it was crawling. We got off
the next exit and hit 9w and that was crawling too, wtf? I should have
known the thruway on a late sun afternoon would be a parking lot. Next time
All back roads coming and going!!! You guys missed an awesome ride on a
perfect fall day!

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
All the roads around bear mountain/harriman were jam packed with the leaf-peepers from NJ&NYC....Palisades was a parking lot when i did my 20mi local loop around 4pm. The next 3-4wknds will suck if riding in those areas as the leaves begin to really change color.

I was run off the road 2x by Asians in mini-vans with Jersey plates who always think its a good idea to make a U-turn in the middle of a blind turn. Fuckin assholes!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I headed up 52 toward ellenville, down to 209 toward Kerhonkson up the other mountain made a few pit stops rode through new paltz. Think at that point we spoke John. I was tired was gonna take 32 home instead had the great idea to take the thru way. Nope. Big mistake. 20 mph stop and go. jersey lady to busy test msging almost rear ended me. finally i said fk it. started to lane split, a trooper saw me just nod his head like its cool and I kept going. from new paltz to monroe took me over 1 hour and 20 mins. To go 25 miles. If i did not lane split id still be sitting there right now. Sucking in bus fumes.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Now that I'm finally feeling well enough to post....

I cant believe Alex did laps at nyst , thats fucking great. I really wanted to check it out. Doing some real laps on there , even with the big girl It would have been awesome.

I caught some Virus that has kicked my ass for almost a week. It sucked. I should be all good for this coming Sunday.

·
840 Posts
i bet you wanted to punch the idiots in the face Rob.. it always amazes me that i can ride/drive for 100s of miles anywhere in the country with zero issues. as soon as i enter fort lee/cliffside park area, im swarmed by asians in minivans/range/gl/lexus who are the most erratic, irrational drivers ever. and if you ask them at a light: why did you change lanes without signaling into me, and didn't seem to mind my horn, exhaust, yelling and tire screech, they have no answer but the middle finger.

a few days ago i was standing at a red light, slightly off center of the lane, a lady in a Prius, pulls about 3 inches from my leg to the side of me in the lane! i almost shit myself. i knocked on her driver side window, that was inches from me. she looked the other way, like im non existent 215 lb guy on a 550 lb bike. amazing..

Mitch, that track is insane.. literally 9 out of 15 corners are totally blind, no idea where youre going.. elevation changes everywhere, wheelie hills, off camber turns, every possible scenario covered.. amazing track. even on big Bertha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts