Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't do enough research before I bought the Yosh EM Pro ecu and it turns out I will have no brakelight and signals by using it.

As some of you know my electrical skills are very poor, but I thought it might be possible to make some seperate circuits to suit the brake light/turnsignals??

Are there by any chance anyone here that could give me some ideas to how this can be done?
It should be possible to wire up some relays to get this to work or?

If I was back home in Norway I'd probably easy find some mechanic that could do this, but here in Korea it is more difficult, the language barrier beeing the "worst" factor.

I'll try and post this up in the mods/how to section as well.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Might want to check out Bugman's website too. He's got alot of wiring diagrams for various lights and doohickies lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Email Yosh, they may have a solution for you.
I know when I hooked switches up to turn my headlight and taillight off, it took me quite some time to figure it out. And I have done it to several bikes.
It is different then the K1.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
I know when I hooked switches up to turn my headlight and taillight off, it took me quite some time to figure it out. And I have done it to several bikes.
Yosh's solution would likely be, don't run the EM Pro. It's a race designed piece. Not too many race bikes you see nowadays need singals and a tail light. The only reason they leave the headlight connection I would assume if endurance type racing.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
well you should be able to figure out some way to get power to the headlights. Sorry I am not of much help as I have never done some thing like this.
But... You can buy a banjo bolt from goodridge that has a pressure sensor in it. When you use your front brake it makes the connection. Just a simple switch. You could use that to get the rear brake light working. I wouldn't worry about turn signals. My 06 1000 will be the first sport bike I own with turn signals because they are built into the body from the factory. I always remove ther rear and shave the front signals. Just have brake light and use hand signals.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yosh's solution would likely be, don't run the EM Pro. It's a race designed piece. Not too many race bikes you see nowadays need singals and a tail light. The only reason they leave the headlight connection I would assume if endurance type racing.
Yepp your right Spl.
That's just the answer I got from Yosh Japan.

badass,
The pressure switch wouldn't solve anything as it is just wired into the excisting harness.
The problem is that with the EM pro and the stock harness you need an so called "short ignition harness" and that harness eliminates some of the wores going out from the ignition and subsequently you will have no brake light and signals.

For a auto/moto electrician this should be very easy.

It seems like I finally got some info on tuning shops in Japan and maybe they can fix this for me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Have you looked at the EM Pro manual that comes on CD with the ECU unit. I was looking at it the other day and my impression is that you can use the EM Pro with the stock harness.

I guess the main question is, have you actually tried it and it doesnt work with the stock harness.

I thought the reason that you need the short harness is that the race harness does not have the diagnostic connector for programming the EM Pro, but the standard harness has this already.

Regards, miller.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
miller,

No I haven't tried it yet, but as far as I understand the unit will not work with the stock harness unless you connect the "short ignition harness". This was also the answer I got from Yoshimura Japan when i called them. I believe they also said the bike would not start if you didn't use the short harness.

Anyway there might be some different ways in undestanding things and I will for sure try and see waht the result is. Your theory about the diagnostic function is interesting nad I for sure hope you are right.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a short harness waiting for me to pick up from the shop, when I get it (monday?) I'll check it out and see what it does.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
you can always manually setup the lights to work by simply just grounding the lights and run the power inline with the ignition and a simple auto relay.. lots of ways to wire it up and make it elaborate but its all a matter of how you want it setup ie: switch to have the lights on or off or just on right when you turn the key and using the relays that came with the bike or setup your own relay system...

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can always manually setup the lights to work by simply just grounding the lights and run the power inline with the ignition and a simple auto relay.. lots of ways to wire it up and make it elaborate but its all a matter of how you want it setup ie: switch to have the lights on or off or just on right when you turn the key and using the relays that came with the bike or setup your own relay system...
Yepp, that was excactly what I had in mind. Mind you, it is the brakelights and turnsignals we are talking about. The headlights will work with the EMPro for endurance race purposes.
I guess I just have to find someone capable to help me out here. Just trying to get a Korean to understand what you need can be a pain in the ass, let alone trying to find someone to do it.

Think I'll try and get some relays and study the wiring diagram and maybe I can do it myself.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Does your bike have the immobiliser or not?????????? Different short harness for each one. Here in Aus. ours have the immobiliser. I have the short harness here, also some other Yosh things
, hope to have some answers for you in 24-48 hrs.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does your bike have the immobiliser or not?????????? Different short harness for each one. Here in Aus. ours have the immobiliser. I have the short harness here, also some other Yosh things
, hope to have some answers for you in 24-48 hrs.
Hey Miller.

No I have the US spec so no immobilizer on mine and the short harness I got is the part# to fit bikes without immobilizer.

Thanks for following up and let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
499 Posts
OK, here is what I know so far. First, what I said about the diagnostic port.... forget that, its nothing to do with it. This is the short harness for the k5 with the immobiliser, I'm assuming yours isn't a North American model which don't have them.

This goes in to the harness between the ignition switch and the main harness. As you can see it has 2 wires only. Red = 12v in to switch, orange = 12v switched from switch. The reason the turn signals and brake light won't work is because the other 2 wires going in and out of the switch (grey 12v in, brown 12v switched out) are the wires that power that circuit.

Now, heres the interesting bit. I sat here for over an hour looking at the harness and the wiring diagram and I can't see any reason it won't work. You must disconnect the immobiliser at the black plug, so the Yosh paperwork that came with the short harness says, or the motor won't run.

If you have a workshop manual you can check for yourself. Look at the ignition switch, then follow the grey and the brown wires and see where they go. I can't see them going anywhere near anything that effects the ECU.

Hope this helps, miller.

Did you know that if you have the race wire harness you can use the left switchblock to change maps and activate the pitlane speed limiter. If the EM Pro does work we may be able to figure a way to make these funtions work with the standard harness.

·
Registered
499 Posts
OK........... looks like we are both posting at the same time.

Just looked at the wiring diagram for yours and as far as I can see its the same deal. The only difference is the orange/yellow wire which I would disconnect. This is the wire that has a resistance on it and sends a signal to the ecu to tell it the ingnition switch is connected, to stop hot wiring. The EM Pro won't care about that signal and may use that pin for something else with the race harness.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks miller

So do you mean that we could actually bypass these wires(brakelight/turnsignals) around the short harness, and in my case disconnect the orange/yellow wire at the ECU?

Are you goint to try this out on your bike or are you using it for race purpose only?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
499 Posts
From what I can see you would only need to remove the orange/yellow wire the other 2 wires only go in to the switch and back out again. Check the wiring diagram.

My bike is for race only, I have the opposite problem. I have the race wire harness, which I had been told was able to be used with the standard ecu, when i get it the paperwork says no no no , only for EM Pro
Also ordered the clutch reaction springs and the setting instructions are japanese only

I might be able the try an EM Pro on a street bike here, I will let you know.

Is your bike running at present?

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
miller,

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Bike is running with a PC3 usb at the moment, but too damn cold to ride here now. Have a lot of stuff to install, but even in the basement it is too cold to work.
Wish I had a nice warm garage

Cheers

-Narve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
9 Participants
Terrance
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing