Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have an option here. I'm a broke-ass college student. Know that from the start.

I know this guy with a '98 750 w/a '99 750 motor in it. He says the FI is running rich in one spot. He'd sell the bike for $2500 as-is, or $3500 fixed. I'm thinking fix it first.

I'm sure I could e-bay my bike for more than that amount, in order to buy this bike.

Provided all gets fixed with the FI bike, does this sound like a better bike? Mine has high mileage (reads 20,000+ due to small front sprocket).

What's the advantages to a FI bike? Is this '98 bike a lighter bike? Would a '99 motor have more HP than mine, as a general rule? Could I switch my exhaust system with the factory one on the bike?

Just feeling around. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Well, the only real difference with that bike as compared to your current one is the FI. I believed they lightened up some engine components and a few other minor changes, but the major one was the addition of fuel injection.
FI advantages include better fuel economy (supposedly) and easier tuning. Rather than having to jet the bike, you just get a powercommander and then you can hook it up to a computer to change your fuel mapping.
Your pipe should fit it.
The only problem I see is that $2500 sounds really cheap. I would make sure that there is nothing wrong with the bike, or that he clearly states why he is selling it so cheap. Why did he change motors? Has it been crashed? How many miles does the new motor have on it? Why is it running rich if it's got the stock pipe on it?
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Originally posted by N4cer:
I'll have the details later. All I know is that he fried the cams on the old motor by riding a wheelie. I've never seen him ride, but I hear he's a wheelie king around here.

More details later...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so, you are looking at a bike that has been abused so much it fried the motor ?

What about the clutch, and the gearbox, the forks seals, and the brakes, chain, cush drive etc if he killed the motor, what else has been neglected ?

I would run away from the deal, unless your bike is terminally sick.

I have an FI motor'd 750 - and its great - no more power than yours though, and the added expense of a PCII if you want to play with the mixture vs a good old fasioned jet change.

If you have good reason to swap, then why not, but I honestly think that you are potentially inheriting a pile of troubles.

[ 04-22-2002, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: fraggle ]

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree... keep your 96... why? cause you know the bike.. you never know what you buy until after you get it and notice all the shit that is wrong.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know the potential dangers. I'm just looking. Kinda feeling around. I just had this same experience w/my bike. I bought it, then found out all the shit that's wrong w/it. But most of it is fixed now. It's pretty nice.

Hell yeah, he's abused the bike. Just like every other "crotch rocket" out there. Nobody buys one to shift at 6k rpm. I feel where everyone is coming from, and I think I'll pass on the deal, although I'll still look at it.

Thanks, GiXXer brothers!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Originally posted by N4cer:

Hell yeah, he's abused the bike. Just like every other "crotch rocket" out there. Nobody buys one to shift at 6k rpm.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">there is abuse, and then there is a lack of mechanical sympathy. I've done over 50K miles on mine in four years, but its serviced on a regular basis, its not thrashed from cold at all, ever, it is wheelied from the lights sometimes, and I have been known to do the odd stoppie too.

However, its on its original motor, a re-built gear-box (crash damage), and only its second clutch. The front rotors have warped a couple of times, but everything else hase been routine stuff.

What I am trying to say is that once you are comforatable with a bike you should stick with it, and just from the description it sounds like a load of hassle is lurking under the fairings.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have the details later. All I know is that he fried the cams on the old motor by riding a wheelie. I've never seen him ride, but I hear he's a wheelie king around here.

More details later...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Your parts will bolt on but the FI bikes don't show performance advantages according to the magazines, 115 rwhp, same torque, same weight, etc. I have about 37kmi on my 96 with the same mods you do and it runs very well. It does sound like a good deal if the bike is right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts