Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? My friend wants to buy my bike and my brother n law is selling his 954rr. he wants like 7k for it i think. His bike has the repsol sticker kit, jardine exhaust, K&N, mapped on a dyno, FE kit etc. he is pushing about 150rwhp on it. He also has a set of O.Z magnesium racing wheels on it. To sum it up this bike is straight sick. He let me ride it for the day and I am just purely amazed by the power and handling of the bike. Dont get me wrong I am in love with my 600 but I think I want to move up in power and this would be an easy and non expensive way to do it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
My friend has the last model year for a 954 rr in grey/black and he likes it. Never ridden it but i do remember the mags saying it was underrated.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been riding for a year. it is a little under powered because I weigh like 225lbs and am 6'2. I have been riding the 954 for the last 2 days. I can handle it. I have enough self control now from riding the 6 to not want to wheelie every chance I get. It rides like a dream with the light weight wheels on it and the suspension all tuned for someone my size. This bike is extreme for sure.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no I am not. I fit perfect on my bike. most of it is muscle. I have been hitting the gym hard. just have a small gut to lose, which should be gone by the middle of next month. Also I already have 2 cars parked in my garage why would I want another one?

·
Registered
297 Posts
haha, i think he was kidding. but the question you are asking can really only be answered by you. moving from a 600 to a 954, basically a liter bike, is a big jump, even for someone that is a bit bigger. you said you have a lot of self control, so if you truly believe you have enough than i would say go for it since it is such a good deal. but thats a big jump, a 600 can hurt ya real fast, and a 954 can only hurt you that much faster if you fuck up. IMO the big bikes aren't meant for riders that haven't been riding very long, and a year isn't that long at all. but if you don't plan on screwing around that much like ya said, then its hard to pass up a sweet deal.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will try. I ride hard but I ride modestly. I dont haul ass all over the place like my buddies do on their bikes. I am usually the guy they have to wait for because I just dont feel like gunning it every chance I get. Of course I have hauled some serious ass on out of town highways, but never in town. Yeah that is a big jump, the power difference is amazing. my buddy is riding my bike today so I switched off with him to let him try the 954, when I got on my bike I was like where the hell is the torque. It is still fast as hell but it doesnt pull anywhere near as hard as that bike does. I really want a 750 but that is a killer deal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
haa, i'm that same guy. once in a while i'll be the one hauling ass pass everybody, but usually i am the one thats in the back of pack at the high speed times (but i'm the one in front in the corners
). it all depends on your control, sounds like you have a good amount of it, and it sounds like your mind is made up on buying it. so in that case, just take it easy for a while and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I will definitely take it easy for a bit until I get used to the power band, actually it doesnt have a power band is just pulls from start to red line lol.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It seems apparent that you already have the mind made up and are just looking for reassurance......so in this case here's some!!! GO GET IT IF YOU WANT IT! Seriously it's your money, your control and ultimately your life, so just make sure you take good care of it. When these vets tell you that it's a big jump for someone that's been riding a year listen to them. That doesn't mean don't buy it. That just means you have to respect both the machine and your abilities. Good luck man, post some pics when you get it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
definately post some pics of the new bike

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd do it. I had a 954 before my 600 and loved it. Handled nearly as well on the twisty stuff although the ride quality on the freeway is a little crappy if it's not smooth. It felt just as light as the 600, actually a little lighter, guess that whole mass centralization stuff honda talks about isn't crap after all. It's easy to ride in traffic, not so much gear shifting since it's almost always in the powerband. And the trunk is nice, you can fit 2 water bottles in it and a hat
The 954 could use a steering dampner though, it wiggles a bit coming out of corners hard when the front tire starts to come up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
my friend had one and all I have to say is I could ride my 2004 gsxr 750 faster threw the mountian then his. There great bikes, one downside is the short wheelbase, they like t stand up ridiculously. Its one of the best whelie bikes ever. It had enough power for me to power slide it out of turns. Just watch the wheelies and power slides. buy some stickys ass tires and a steering dampner. Every time I would hammer it in a drag race as soon as I would hit 3rd it would walk all over the place from the front trying to lift. reason for sticky tires on that bike is from my friends high side from cheap tires. broken colar bone and totalled bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The magnezium wheels alone ought to be a couple grand, right? If you really like the 954, then by all means, get it. I haven't ridden a 954, so I can't compare with my '05 750. If you're getting a great deal on a 954, you might as well go for it. It defenitely sounds like you want to move away from the 600.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I think they are like 1200 each front and back. He has pilot powers on it and a scotts dampner I believe. I can control it fairly well. I am heavy enough that when I lean on the tank really hard it wont pop up. I am trying to sell my bike, lets see if I have success. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts