Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stepper motor for the secondary throttle plates in my K5 1000 has failed. It was making a horrible noise when I flicked the ignition on and the throttles weren't opening. I pulled the actuator off and pulled it apart and checked the motor. It won't turn freely and the shaft is grinding against the outer magnets.

Couple of questions:

I've taken the motor out of the actuator casing and re-fitted it, and reconnected the wires from the small unit attached to the top of it, and have set the secondary throttles wide open. Is this going to cause any damage to the engine? Or give me any issues? And I suppose, is it really necessary and can I clear the FI injection error showing on the dash?

Can anyone confirm that Suzuki don't sell these units separately? (This close to Xmas the local dealers are a tad unreliable) I called a local wrecker who has a K6 wreck and he told me that they don't, and I would have to buy the entire throttle body assembly (for $500AUD)

Are there any aftermarket replacements?

Cheers

Mitch

·
Registered
507 Posts
AFAIK you can only buy new as part of the assembly. I'd try e-bay if you're looking for a deal.
I don't think you'll damage the engine, but the fuel mapping may be off some at low-mid throttle settings until you get it fixed or re-mapped, and you may get an FI light.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
tb's as unit only. Are you sure the tps didn't go bad. Was it clicking real bad? Pull the throttle plates out, we have been doing it for years with no problem, but the bike should really be remapped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, fairly certain it's the SDTV actuator. When I flicked the ignition on with the airbox off, you could see the plates fluttering as it tried to turn them. Pulled it out and it wouldn't turn at all. I've picked up a set of throttle bodies with it on them, gonna see how they go. If it's not that and I do decide to pull the plates and remap, is there anyway of tricking the ECU into thinking it's still there and clearing the FI error from the dash?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I leave the motors in and the rod. We just take the plates out.
If the servo won't move the shaft and therefore not move the STP sensor, plates or not, it will still throw an FI error.

There is no ECU jumper or mod that I am aware of that will squelch the FI error for the Secondaries like the one for the exhaust servo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Leave the secondaries in- i gained approx 6hp when i refitted them to my K7 and that was without remapping...!

And i believe Mladin ran with his in.

I've got a spare set of throttle bodies if you're stuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts