Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys. Now that the riding season is over i was thinking about fixing the second gear problem in my bike. My question is, 1. where do i get parts, 2. if you had to guess what would it cost to fix the problem (worst case scenario), and lastly, if i had a manual i should be able to do this myself right? Im a mechanic by trade, just never done manual transmission work.

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
725 Posts
A manual and some mechanical know how is definately a good start. These trannys arent to complicated...its pretty straight forward.
Im gonna say probably www.ronayers.com would be where i would get the gears from.
More than likely your gonna need to replace 2nd and 6th gears and the shift forks and anything else you that is either out of spec or looks funny.
Another alternative is looking around and try to find a good used motor.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
cheapest scenario: $50 per gear, total $100.
and a tube of rtv sealant= $5.

Depending on the engine condition/mileage, Id recommend doing the simplest repair: ie replace both gears ONLY. You dont need to remove the head to do this.

If you want to replace all bearings, gaskets, seals, rings, hone bores, valve job etc it will get VERY $$$...

IMO, its nonsense to spend $ on a stock engine just to freshen it up. If you *must* replace bearings, rings, hone, etc, then go big bore. It will cost you less to do both at once.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just did mine about 6,000 miles ago and am not sure if you have a 1052 or not.. Here is a short list of parts I got when I did mine.
2nd and 5th output gears from the '89 1100. (gear ratios are the same)
Three shift forks.
Shift drum. ( Don't forget this one, mine had slight wear on the number two notch. I also had a friend years ago argue that he didn't need to change it... He had problems and had to re-split the cases and change it.)

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys guys, my bike is a 750 not an 1100. So i can fix some parts of the transmission without splitting the engine cases, and theres some stuff i cant do?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.