Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a mint 1986 1100. I have had it going on 10 years...bought it of the original owner. My problem is this: It is just not as comfortable as it used to be. I think the padding in the seat must be shot. My cock keeps falling asleep if I ride around town for more than 25-20 minutes. It is worse if my wife is on the back. I want to retain the original look of the bike if possible. Any body know of any one out there that mods/restuffs seats, and does quality work. I talked to Corbin, but he says he no longer carries seats for the 'ol gixxer. I would have to stop by in person to discuss what I want done with it. Being that I live in NC, that isn't going to happen. Also interested in doing something about the bars and foot pegs. Any one know of mods to lower the pegs and raise the bars a bit. My knees arn't what they used to be. Thanks!
Semper Fi!
Robby

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I re-stuffed and re-covered my seat on my `89 1100 just a few weeks ago... There's an upholstery supply place here in town and I got some dense foam from them along with some blue vinyl. I used a long turkey-carving knife to shape the block of foam as close as possible to the original stuff and it came out pretty good... I've also had success in the past taking seats to the automotive and boat-upholstery shops... this is the first time I did it on my own and so far, so good... <shrug> think of it this way, if you *do* come out less-than-perfect, is it really gonna be any worse than it is now? Good luck!

·
Registered
628 Posts
dude i have the shit for you i have a rack that i built on my 1100 gsxr 86 that fits a 93 750 tail.
It has the battery location now situated in the back passenger seat.
Very comfortable and a damn good look.
I have the pictures somewhere i could dig up and find for you.

I moved up in the world this year to a srad 96 tail and subframe this year that will be welded on to the existing 86 1100 frame and man is my cock going to be happy

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jimmyhat:
dude i have the shit for you i have a rack that i built on my 1100 gsxr 86 that fits a 93 750 tail.

I moved up in the world this year to a srad 96 tail and subframe this year that will be welded on to the existing 86 1100 frame and man is my cock going to be happy
<hr></blockquote>

Hey Jimmy,

Aren't you kinda worried about what that heavy battery is gonna do to the handling after you moved it up and back like that? I don't mean to criticize, mostly just curious to know how it feels on the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by robbydinero:
I own a mint 1986 1100. I have had it going on 10 years...bought it of the original owner. My problem is this: It is just not as comfortable as it used to be. I think the padding in the seat must be shot. My cock keeps falling asleep if I ride around town for more than 25-20 minutes. It is worse if my wife is on the back. I want to retain the original look of the bike if possible. Any body know of any one out there that mods/restuffs seats, and does quality work. I talked to Corbin, but he says he no longer carries seats for the 'ol gixxer. I would have to stop by in person to discuss what I want done with it. Being that I live in NC, that isn't going to happen. Also interested in doing something about the bars and foot pegs. Any one know of mods to lower the pegs and raise the bars a bit. My knees arn't what they used to be. Thanks!
Semper Fi!
Robby
<hr></blockquote>

Try these links

Russell Seats: http://www.day-long.com/

Sargeant Seats: http://www.sargentcycle.com/

Saddleman Seats: http://www.saddlemen.com/

Seat foam samples: http://www.cheta.net/dsi/

Hope this helps...

Sven

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: Sven ]</p>

·
Registered
628 Posts
ask sven he saw the 93 tail and rode with me i was loving the feel of that bike with the rear tail off the 93 and the battery blahh small peanuts , The amount of weight shed of the back of the bike with all the old school stuff off it was lighter in the end.
The 96-99 tail will be even sweeter just no 12
'clock wheeling thats all or the poor tail will be shredded off?

You pay a small price to have the mods done for a reason and the resaon is looks and performance in the end? I will not put more weight onto the bike you can always find a way around getting it lighter.

·
Registered
628 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jimmyhat:
ask sven he saw the 93 tail and rode with me i was loving the feel of that bike with the rear tail off the 93 and the battery blahh small peanuts , The amount of weight shed of the back of the bike with all the old school stuff off it was lighter in the end.
The 96-99 tail will be even sweeter just no 12
'clock wheeling thats all or the poor tail will be shredded off?

You pay a small price to have the mods done for a reason and the resaon is looks and performance in the end? I will not put more weight onto the bike you can always find a way around getting it lighter.
<hr></blockquote>

and i am into looking at the booty on the tail of the bike it looks HOT with the srad tail pure steamy ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the help with the seat. Any ideas on peg/bars alterations?

·
Registered
628 Posts
you mean the rear passemger pegs?
I have seen many things done with these depends on what your outcome of the look you wnat to achieve?

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: Jimmyhat ]</p>

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I am talking about the driver footpegs. My knees are beginning to fucking kill me.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am interested in seeing the pictures.

<hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
38 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DevilDog:
No, I am talking about the driver footpegs. My knees are beginning to fucking kill me.<hr></blockquote>

There is setup to allow you to drop the footpeg assembly about and inch in height and about 1/2 inch forward. That combined with riser handlebars will make any gixer more comfortable and relieve the pressure from your knees. I will try to find the link where these conversions are available from.

Sven

1 - 16 of 16 Posts