Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know that this is possible, but I am trying to locate a full, OEM color, set of plastics for a '90 GSXR 1100. The bike was originally black/silver. It has been custom painted in the blue/white color layout, but with the addition of red. I would like to get a second set of OEM plastics just for nastalgia's sake. Either of the OEM color sets will do. I have tried many the salvage yards and even ebay, but to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
As FastCat, Mr.Tris and I (Iknow I left someone else out with a B/W 90) can tell you the Blue and White looks good and I think it was faster too. You can still get all of the stickers from Suzuki for the Blue and White. Just repaint the bike in the proper pearl white and sticker then clear. Use a good paint shop and then have them bury the stickers under the clear instead of leaving them on top like the factory did. If you look at a factory tank the stickers are under the clear there but not anywhere else on the bike. If you clear over them it will look much better and will last longer. The dealer can also get you a full set already painted and stickered but it will cost you about 2000.00.
Bones

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wolf1100L, to answer your question, my father created the current paint/color scheme on the bike. He has since passed away, and it's out of pure sentimental value that I want to keep it as is. (I can remember being about 11 years old and helping him tape the lines for painting.) This is also the reason that I want to have a second set for the bike... I would be devastated if this set were damaged.

Also, I talked to the dealer about buying an OEM set and they quoted me well over 2k. I'm trying to keep my project under $1000, which I think is possible if I can piece together plastic and a tank and have it painted. One thing though: What can I expect to pay for a descent paint job? One of my father's friends owned an auto body shop at the time, so I have no receipts or records to guage price against.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father.

OEM plastics are very expensive. If I were you I'd buy a fiberglass fairing and paint it in OEM colors. You should get that incl. painting for under $1000.
You could even make your own fiberglas fairing if you've got the time. It is very easy. Just use your original fairing as a mould.
Here's how it's done: Cover the outside of your fairing with aluminium foil. Put fiberglass on top of foil. Apply coat of resin/hardener. Some more layers of fiberglass. Let it dry and set properly. Sand it smooth. Apply some body filler. Sand it. Paint.
It's very easy and very cheap if you do it yourself. It's just time consuming.

[ 10-03-2002, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Wolf1100L ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts