Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just got a new back tire (my 4th one to date) and the guy said something no one has said to me before "make sure to scrub it in for the first 75 miles or so". What does "scrub it in" mean? is he talking about just leisurely leaning back and forth in the lane to get the factory coating off?

I never really thought about this before, i just took it easy for the first week when i got a new tire. Also, what about the very outer edges? I dont' want to be hitting a peg when the tire isn't safe.

·
Registered
141 Posts
dont worry about what people say...since u have had 4 new tires in the past, just do what you normally do when u get new tires...but what he meant was ride easy on it since it stil has a thin coating that needs to be scrubbed in

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
you got it right just take it easy and slowly use more lean angle till you get all the coating off the tire

·
Registered
600 Posts
Treat it just like you did to the previous three you've "scrubbed" in. He is right about taking it easy. Don't go "balls to the wall" right out of shop. New tires are somewhat "slick" from the factory but asphalt/concrete quickly changes that.

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
Hey all, I just got a new back tire (my 4th one to date) and the guy said something no one has said to me before "make sure to scrub it in for the first 75 miles or so". What does "scrub it in" mean? is he talking about just leisurely leaning back and forth in the lane to get the factory coating off?

I never really thought about this before, i just took it easy for the first week when i got a new tire. Also, what about the very outer edges? I dont' want to be hitting a peg when the tire isn't safe.
how many miles do you have on your bike to have gone through 3 sets of tires??

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Anybody ever use sand paper to speed up the effect?
Heard it works

·
Registered
600 Posts
Heard it works
Waste of time. Just ride it and you'll be fine. This is not directed at you, but my mind tells me there's something wrong if a person feels the need to use sandpaper to "scrub" their tire in if they're riding on the street. Take it easy, live long and healthy...

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Heard it works
Waste of time. Just ride it and you'll be fine. This is not directed at you, but my mind tells me there's something wrong if a person feels the need to use sandpaper to "scrub" their tire in if they're riding on the street. Take it easy, live long and healthy...
I do one commute to work round trip 110 miles
Back and forth on the highway as much possible on the way there
I'm way good by time I get home

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You can scrub it in in the first 20 miles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most owners manuals recommend doing 100 miles before attempting maximum performance (thats including slowly increasing the lean angle)

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Most owners manuals recommend doing 100 miles before attempting maximum performance (thats including slowly increasing the lean angle)
Most owners manuals also recommend not doing weelies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts