Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im lookin at a bike that has a salvage title..the guy is from virginia...i am from florida. hes sayin the bike needs an inspection before it can be rode on the street. i dont see why tho....ive owned a salvaged bike before...and as far as i know it didnt need inspected. i thought as long as you had a title....salvaged or not....you could ride it on the street.:scratch

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
A salvage title is generally given to a bike deemed 'unrideable under any conditions'. At least thats how it was explained to me. If you go to get it registered (I dont remember Fl law, been a while since I moved from there) all vehicles have to have a regular title, NOT salvage. To get said regular title you have to have the bike inspected to prove that it is indeed rideable.

Again, just waht I was told, go check with the DMV

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
In VA, after you fix a bike that's been salvaged, a guy from (i think) DMV comes by to inspect it. As long as everything that was written up is fixed, they'll sign it off. I totaled my first bike in VA (it was a GSXR600). All the fairings were scratched and the swingarm got dinged. The bike still rode just fine, but after the bike shop got thru with the estimate, it was more than what the insurance company was willing to pay, so they totalled it out.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
here in SD they just dont care. i bought a VA rebuildable frame. i took the title in, they registered it and the title came back as a salvage, but no inspection was needed.

usually if a frame has a tiny mark on it, they total it. new frames from suzuki's are pretty expensive, and when you add the cost of fairings in there, they total it :rolleyes

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
ghostgixer said:
night ryder- so your saying some states dont need inspections then?...or am i reading it wrong?

in MN there is no such thing as a salvage title

dont need inspections here in SD . they dont have emission laws here either :punk

but if your planning on getting it registered in a different state, think again. if your state requires inspections, you will have to get it inspected. you will run into the problem once you try and switch the title over to your state

·
Registered
51 Posts
In Louisiana, a salvaged bike/auto is one that was purchased from an auto/bike auction or sale, where as it was brought there by an insurance company or lein holder because the bike was repossesed or totaled ( cost of damage was greater than 80% of the value of the bike) which may occur by theft recovery, accident, being dropped, flood/water damage, natural disater (tree falling on bike) or fire. the Department of Motor Vehicles requires the bike/car to be inspected by state police or local law enforcement to verify it has proper equipement to be on the road, they also record vin numbers and sometimes motor numbers (on bikes that have matching numbers) the whole process is a very simple task, that happens to be free........NOW ON THE OTHER HAND certificate of destruction titles....the bike has to be dismantled, no ifs ands or buts....my bike is salvage, when i post pics you could never tell, one thing about a salvage bike, according to most banks and loan companys, the value or a salvage/reconstructed title bike/auto is 50% of a clean titled bike/auto, which makes getting a loan a little harder, i have never had insurance company ask for status of title

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
are ya sure he didn't just mean an annual inspection? you don't have inspections in FL, but most states do. you know - show your reg, proof of insurance, and they check your brakes, tires, blinkers, etc.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah the guy says it has a salvage title....but in order for it to be street legal...it needs inspected and then if it passes i beleive it would then receive a rebuilt title.

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
ghostgixer said:
im sorry...has this been asked before?...i searched it but found nothing
Yeah, the subject comes up every couple of months. As Ryder said, the laws vary from state to state. In GA a salvage motorcycle can be reconstructed and receive a clean title, fairly easily. In other states it takes an act of God to clear a salvage title. Check with your DMV, make sure that you find out specific information about MOTORCYCLES because the mindless drones at the DMV will just assume cars and bikes are the same and often they are not categorized the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.