Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Drama Queen that Loves Baby Battered covered Twat-
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering maybe just getting a salvaged bike for track and not getting a street rides.
I look at it like this:

Advantages:
-No cost of insurance
-I wont be riding on the street, so it will in turn be safer

Disadvantages:
-Cost of track days
-Not being able to ride everytime I want
-Having to haul it everywhere

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I converted to only track and do miss riding on the road a little bit. not so much as to put lights on my bike and register it, but a little none the less. track days are expensive but my overall costs of motorcycling have gone down. as far as salvage- as long as the frame is straight ect, I think it would be the way to go.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
between work and wanting to spend time with my kid I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like to, but I can't imagine only doing trackdays. realistically, how many could you do in a year? two, maybe three a month? even 'weekend warriors' get out more than that. sometimes I'll get home and just take a 30min ride to decompress from a tough day.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Money wise if you can get an extra bike go with a salvage.

I would suggest you go to your local track and find out all the rules and regulations. For example, headlights, kickstand, bolts, lights, etc…..most people run some kind of compounds for track day. If you go down on your street bike. :crying $$$$$ If you have a race bike it will cost you less to fix. :hammer You could also push it harder knowing its not your everyday bike = better lap times.

Remember when you want to ride on the street you will need lights (head, tail, blinkers) and kickstand. IMO changing all that back is a hassle.
Good luck!!! :cheers

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
easter bunny said:
realistically, how many could you do in a year? two, maybe three a month?
If I was at the race track 3 times/month in the summer I would be flat broke. Costs average about 500 bucks everytime I go to the track. There are 1-2 months in the summer where I may get there 2 times.

Whenever I think of buying another street bike I remind myself how bored I was.
For me, 1 race per year (last year 8 times with about 10-15 races) is more exciting than everyday on the street.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I started riding a little over 2 years ago. I rode every possible chance I got. A year after discovering the track...I am 8% street / 92% track...and I love it. Any excuse I cant find to NOT ride on the stret, I take it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.