Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clean my chain regeraly with WD-40 and lube with Bel-Ray. I still seem to get a few rust spots on my chain. Although, they come of easily with WD-40 on a rag.

Why is this happening? How can I prevent this?

As I'm typing this it came to me that it may be from me washing the bike. Maybe I could give he chain a quick spray of WD-40 after a washing to dispurse the water?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
505 Posts
WD-40 will start to remove your chain wax if ya use it like that. Just get yourself a nasty ass rag to dry off the sides of the chain with while you're drying the rest of the bike off. That water sittin' on the chain is leaving those rust spots.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You have seen my chain........... I do EXACTLY what you are doing and no rust. Maybe you are using too less of the Bel Ray ..... lube her up!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Obviously it's caused by water, so whatever you can do to keep water of off it will be the answer. WD-40 is for water displacement so that would do the job after a wash. But if you keep it lubed, the water will never get to the metal and cause rust in the first place. I clean mine with WD-40 and then coat it with chain wax.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Speaking of the chains ...dont they have something called the Grudge brush or whatever its called someone on GDC posted it up not too long ago and it looked like it took the cleaning of the chain way faster better and easier

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
SVS posted that brush if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Pull your chain, soak it in kerosene and get all the rust off, reinstall it, and cake that badboy with a healthy coat of mixima racing chain wax. You will love it.

Scott

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
isn't there also a lot of salts used on the roads in your area? sure its summer now, but its still in the air for while esp. when it rains

here there is NOTHING ever

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a little ritual I do when I clean my bike.

I always coat the chain in WD40 before washing it. This gets the old chain lube off of it since it usually has sand and other crap in it. During the wash I use the hose to really spray the chain down getting all that old nasty chain lube off. I do this BTW, about once a week. After I wash it I dry it off with a towel ... everywhere ... and then hold a rag in one hand and soak the chain in WD40 again, wiping it off as I go. That way it doesn't gunk up the front sprocket and dribble down on the body work under the chain. Yellow is too pretty to gunk up
I then let it sit in the sun for a while to get the water I couldn't towel off.

I put Bel-Rey on the chain in short controlled bursts. I let it sit for a while I then lightly wipe the chain down leaving just a light coating of chain lube on the chain. Finally, I use a rag with WD40 to wipe the outside of the chain getting the White Bel-rey off.

Yes, it may sound anal but the chain looks great, doesn't rust and extends the life. It doesn't fling or drip anywhere and it spins like velet on a babys butt. It takes me all day to detail my bike which I do about once a month so this is the "short" cleaning. Nothing worse IMO than coating tons of lube on a chain only to have it collect all the road crap. Might as well coat it in sand paper. The surface rust isn't a problem if you get it off in time. YMMV

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have a little ritual I do when I clean my bike.

I always coat the chain in WD40 before washing it. This gets the old chain lube off of it since it usually has sand and other crap in it. During the wash I use the hose to really spray the chain down getting all that old nasty chain lube off. I do this BTW, about once a week. After I wash it I dry it off with a towel ... everywhere ... and then hold a rag in one hand and soak the chain in WD40 again, wiping it off as I go. That way it doesn't gunk up the front sprocket and dribble down on the body work under the chain. Yellow is too pretty to gunk up
I then let it sit in the sun for a while to get the water I couldn't towel off.

I put Bel-Rey on the chain in short controlled bursts. I let it sit for a while I then lightly wipe the chain down leaving just a light coating of chain lube on the chain. Finally, I use a rag with WD40 to wipe the outside of the chain getting the White Bel-rey off.

Yes, it may sound anal but the chain looks great, doesn't rust and extends the life. It doesn't fling or drip anywhere and it spins like velet on a babys butt. It takes me all day to detail my bike which I do about once a month so this is the "short" cleaning. Nothing worse IMO than coating tons of lube on a chain only to have it collect all the road crap. Might as well coat it in sand paper. The surface rust isn't a problem if you get it off in time. YMMV
Well that does sound a bit anal, no offense.

To clean my chain, I put the bike on a rear stand, soak the chain in Wd, then take a rag and wipe it down. Only takes a sec, then coat it with chain wax. Looks like new all the time.

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts