16,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I always wanted to go to Russia, almost did but after all these dash cam videos, I would walk everywhere. No way I'm getting in a cab or on a bus!!
I spent 2 whole summer vacations(end of June til end end of August) in communist Soviet Union back in '82&'84 visiting family by the Black Sea when I was a kid.
It was hardcore back then,scared the hell outta me weekly,but was the experience of a lifetime;to see mother Russia& how my family lived 1st hand is completely different than visiting as a tourist&seeing what the government wanted Americans to see.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Life was hard behind the "iron curtain". Parents had friends who came here from Russia and I was very curious about Russia. Also had a Jr. High teacher who went to Russia in '81/'82 who had some stories about life there. Nothing shows a country like living with family though.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Life was hard behind the "iron curtain". Parents had friends who came here from Russia and I was very curious about Russia. Also had a Jr. High teacher who went to Russia in '81/'82 who had some stories about life there. Nothing shows a country like living with family though.
You have no idea :scared
I'll see if I can dig up the pictures(that USSR Customs allowed us to bring back to the USA..-they didn't find where I hid the rolls in my luggage lol) but most of the film that the good pics were on(showing daily activities by residents,the poverty,long lines for food,fist-fights over toilet paper,elderly women working on road paving crews in dresses,etc) was confiscated at the airport.

Attachments

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or watch "Moscow on the Hudson" with citizens running to join lines without knowing what will be for sale at the end of the line but something is being sold. And after defecting, the lead character is sent to the store to buy coffee and has a panic attack being overwhelmed by the choices. When I was 11 I think, my parents were going out of town for the weekend and had gotten Tania's mom who both immigrated from Russia to come stay with me. Obviously Tania's mom hadn't gotten out much since coming to the US. When my parents were about to leave she asked "what are we supposed to eat?" I took her to the freezer in the utility room, opened it and told her "we have ribeye steaks, T-bone steaks, hot dogs, fillet Mignon and hamburger patties " and she nearly passed out. She would have hit the floor if my step-dad hadn't caught her, she said "I have never seen so much food in one place before!"

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
I spent 2 whole summer vacations(end of June til end end of August) in communist Soviet Union back in '82&'84 visiting family by the Black Sea when I was a kid.
It was hardcore back then,scared the hell outta me weekly,but was the experience of a lifetime;to see mother Russia& how my family lived 1st hand is completely different than visiting as a tourist&seeing what the government wanted Americans to see.
It's not the same now anyway, since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

My ex / inlaws / friends are all Russians from Moscow / St Petersberg who were actually able to leave Russia because of some Jewish thing back in the 90s. They told me the stories and I can only imagine coming here and the SHOCK of walking into a supermarket, grabbing a cart and filling it up with anything / as much as you want.

Barring the crazy nutjob commies / KGB / police, there were the citizens... totally lawless. It was the wild west out there. Errrr... the wild east?

Anyway, it's not the same now. Still not the same as here but it's not like you have any reason to be fearful now.

Unless you're driving, as we've all seen :lol

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Or watch "Moscow on the Hudson" with citizens running to join lines without knowing what will be for sale at the end of the line but something is being sold. And after defecting, the lead character is sent to the store to buy coffee and has a panic attack being overwhelmed by the choices. When I was 11 I think, my parents were going out of town for the weekend and had gotten Tania's mom who both immigrated from Russia to come stay with me. Obviously Tania's mom hadn't gotten out much since coming to the US. When my parents were about to leave she asked "what are we supposed to eat?" I took her to the freezer in the utility room, opened it and told her "we have ribeye steaks, T-bone steaks, hot dogs, fillet Mignon and hamburger patties " and she nearly passed out. She would have hit the floor if my step-dad hadn't caught her, she said "I have never seen so much food in one place before!"
It's not the same now anyway, since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

My ex / inlaws / friends are all Russians from Moscow / St Petersberg who were actually able to leave Russia because of some Jewish thing back in the 90s. They told me the stories and I can only imagine coming here and the SHOCK of walking into a supermarket, grabbing a cart and filling it up with anything / as much as you want.

Barring the crazy nutjob commies / KGB / police, there were the citizens... totally lawless. It was the wild west out there. Errrr... the wild east?

Anyway, it's not the same now. Still not the same as here but it's not like you have any reason to be fearful now.

Unless you're driving, as we've all seen :lol
In '90 my family from Russia came for 3mos to visit&stay with us in NY. Like you said,the look of shock on their faces when we took them to the grocery store and the butcher section was total disbelief. They were those foreigners taking pictures holding food in the aisle's :lol

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
My folks took in a couple teenage girls from Germany from a Church Mission Program, they stayed with them for 2 weeks. They didn't want to go back to Germany lol.
My mom said the look on their faces when they went into the Super Walmart was disbelief. :nerd:

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
They were those foreigners taking pictures holding food in the aisle's :lol
If any of 'em were sport fishermen, I can imagine them freaking out at Costco. "Take my picture, comrad" while holding 50-70 lbs of salmon :lmao

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,918 Posts
In '90 my family from Russia came for 3mos to visit&stay with us in NY. Like you said,the look of shock on their faces when we took them to the grocery store and the butcher section was total disbelief. They were those foreigners taking pictures holding food in the aisle's :lol
Did you take them to Wegmans ?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
My folks took in a couple teenage girls from Germany from a Church Mission Program, they stayed with them for 2 weeks. They didn't want to go back to Germany lol.
My mom said the look on their faces when they went into the Super Walmart was disbelief. :nerd:
I'm sure...after experiencing McDonalds & Taco Bell,mine didn't wanna go back home to Russia either :lol

If any of 'em were sport fishermen, I can imagine them freaking out at Costco. "Take my picture, comrad" while holding 50-70 lbs of salmon :lmao
Shit,this was way before Costco's or BJ's wholesale clubs were in our area but Im pretty sure they'd all have heart attacks at those places. "Babushka,they have bulk toilet paper,rows and rows of it
:lmao
Did you take them to Wegmans ?
Were south of you in the Hudson Valley so all we had was Stop&Shop and Food Emporium chains. But when they went north to Syracuse to visit my uncle,he did take them to a Wegmans and they spent almost the entire day there lol

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,918 Posts
I'm sure...after experiencing McDonalds & Taco Bell,mine didn't wanna go back home to Russia either :lol

Shit,this was way before Costco's or BJ's wholesale clubs were in our area but Im pretty sure they'd all have heart attacks at those places. "Babushka,they have bulk toilet paper,rows and rows of it
:lmao

Were south of you in the Hudson Valley so all we had was Stop&Shop and Food Emporium chains. But when they went north to Syracuse to visit my uncle,he did take them to a Wegmans and they spent almost the entire day there lol
When I was a teen my Mom use to take my relatives from out of state to Wegmans here in Webster and they were always amazed . I use to laugh about it .

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,058 Posts
holy shit.... thats um yeah... gotta hurt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts