Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

201 - 220 of 227 Posts

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
well time for another update.

i bought some nice Brooks Ghost 5 running shoes the other day. they are designed for mid-foot strikers and they work great! the shoe has a nice and comfortable upper and the lower is padded just right when i strike the ground. seeing these shoes are new, it will take me a bit to break them in. i ran only a mile on an indoor track yesterday because it was dumping rain outside. a group was doing mach fitness tests and i didnt want to interfere with their tests. as for mid-foot striking, this was the technique i was taught and it helps me out so much when it comes to running. i am glad these shoes were designed for mid-foot strikers and cant wait to see how i do on my outdoor runs.

i decided to kick the Cellucor C4 because my body adapted to it and it is not doing what it is supposed to. like most formulas that have nitric oxide, your body adapts to it within 2-3 weeks and it becomes ineffective. some guys swore up and down that they take it for 2 months straight and still feel it but i think it is the placebo effect. the BCAA formula works wonders and i will continue to use it.

today, the sun decided to come out despite the fact it was supposed to rain again. that frustrated me because i wanted to run outside after work. i have to get on my run ASAP after work because the sun goes down after 4:30pm and i dont like to run at night. im making a goal of running 6 miles so i will be training for this. for the time being, i am gonna break my new shoes in running 3 miles max until i am ready to step it up to the next level.

my last pair of shoes (brooks pure cadence) were the wrong ones for my feet and body build. that explains why they caused a lot of shin splints and issues for running. the lady at the running shoe store pointed that out and i also discovered my error when i researched the shoes i bought. they are considered stability shoes and not motion control. seeing i am a slightly heavier runner, i need motion control. i have always known that but i mixed up stability and motion control when i was shoe shopping.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
another update! i dont know why i keep updating but it is kind of fun share an online diary of my workouts.

i changed things up a bit. on mondays, im more focused on muscle training so i do a lot of push ups and butterfly sit ups. i am going to incorporate a lot of air squats into this basic routine. the butterfly sit ups are golden. it trains pretty much my entire core at one time. last week, i did 80 total (4 sets of 20) and 80 push ups. by next week, ill be back up to my regular 100+ (5 sets of 20). i only do this on mondays and work on my running on wed/fri.

i learned a few things about running shoes on forums. apparently, there is no real "break in" for running shoes because of how they are made now. i was having some really bad foot pains running in my new shoes and i learned that is not normal. i am going to take my shoes back and get something with more cushion. i get a lot of shock when i hit the pavement and it causes a lot of stopping on my behalf. i was on a 2.2 mile run last friday and i had to stop at the half way marker and walk back because i couldnt handle the shock on my body. i still use the mid-foot strike technique but it still causes some shock. my running shoe store has a 30 day policy to swap out shoes so i will take them up on that.

on wednesday, i am going to sneak in and get a weigh in to see how much weight i have lost since January 1. hopefully i burned quite a bit off.

i have something in the works for March and if i am lucky, i may not have to take my fitness test in april (or be in the AF either!). i will keep a lid on this until it happens. i am jinxed by nature so i dont want to let the cat out of the bag in fear of being struck by lightning! :spit

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'm still reading, don't have much to say though

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
i swapped out my running shoes the other day for some Asics GT 2000's (recent model release). they feel great and i will attempt to run in them today (weather pending). thanks for reading my ramblings!

·
Super Moderator
15,128 Posts
i swapped out my running shoes the other day for some Asics GT 2000's (recent model release). they feel great and i will attempt to run in them today (weather pending). thanks for reading my ramblings!
My feet are too wide to run in asics, but I have a knock around pair that I like. I really like Saucony and New Balance for running shoes. I am running about 15-20 miles a week. Mostly indoors now cause of weather, but the Saucony's I have now are working great. The are the Saucony Cohesion 4. They are a mid grade priced shoe but I really like them. I'm not tiny either at 5'11'' 200 lbs.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I gotta go with new balance. They are perfect for my feet. Asics work decently for me too. I absolutely hate running in Nikes though...

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
my new asics worked out pretty good with my 1.5 mile run yesterday. i had zero issues with them. after a while, i get tired and break my running form. i end up heal striking. the cushioning helped a lot with the strikes on the ground.

i have developed a weird issue with one of my toes. i never took notice to it until lately. when i run, it feels like one of my toes swell up and it becomes very uncomfortable when i strike the ground wrong on it. after running, i can feel the 1 toe hurting as i walk around. kinda strange! after a while, the swelling goes away and im fine.

·
Super Moderator
15,128 Posts
How are those butterfly sit ups any different than regular sit ups. I tried them, both are equally hard after doing a bunch.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #209 (Edited)
How are those butterfly sit ups any different than regular sit ups. I tried them, both are equally hard after doing a bunch.
range of motion mostly. if you sit in a butterfly position and you go all the way forward past where you would touch your knees, you would work your core just a bit different. basically you want your hands to touch your toes and when you go back, you have your hands behind your head. almost like a "tomahawk" motion that the atlanta braves fans do :lol

i can feel a big difference in my core strength doing these instead of regular sit ups.

The Butterfly Sit Up is a simple core strength exercise that puts added emphasis on the abdominal muscles by limiting the use of the hip flexors.
http://www.mymadmethods.com/exercise-database/bodyweight-exercises/428-butterfly-sit-up

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Crunches, oblique crunches, v ups, leg lifts and oblique leg lifts FTW. Sit ups... :dissapointed unless youre doing weighted decline sit ups

·
Super Moderator
15,128 Posts
range of motion mostly. if you sit in a butterfly position and you go all the way forward past where you would touch your knees, you would work your core just a bit different. basically you want your hands to touch your toes and when you go back, you have your hands behind your head. almost like a "tomahawk" motion that the atlanta braves fans do :lol

i can feel a big difference in my core strength doing these instead of regular sit ups.

The Butterfly Sit Up is a simple core strength exercise that puts added emphasis on the abdominal muscles by limiting the use of the hip flexors.
http://www.mymadmethods.com/exercise-database/bodyweight-exercises/428-butterfly-sit-up
I think you just like spreading your legs to all the guys in the gym. :lol Seriously, I'll have to give them a try.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I think you just like spreading your legs to all the guys in the gym. :lol Seriously, I'll have to give them a try.
hell yes i do. how else am i going to establish male dominance in a gym? :wacko

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Re: Re: running

hell yes i do. how else am i going to establish male dominance in a gym? :wacko
Wear way too cut off of a cut off and expose the majority of your torso. Also wear a baseball cap and grunt extremely loudly. Don't forget to wear vibram sole minimalist shoes and ranger panties for every work out, regardless of whether it incorporates your lower body or not. You can even rock some oakley shades while getting swole to enhance the effect. :thumbup

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
well i ran out of my BCAA formula. i needed a replacement. i decided to try GNC Re-Power. it has everything Cellucor had in its formula minus a couple of key ingredients. it still works as advertised but it tastes disgusting!

im having major issues with shin splints and its murdering my running now. im gonna start doing a lot of calf raises daily to combat this because i cant afford for this to happen now. i was gonna try something ballsy last week on my 2 mile wing run. i was gonna run at a fast pace to see how far i can travel but the shin splints really got to me and i had to turn back. this time around, im gonna stick with fast pace runs on the track and just take it easy on the street runs.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
running:piss Good for you though :thumbup
That's just the last way I would choose to get in shape. Some people love it, some people hate it.
i hate it with a passion but if i wanna keep my job, i have to love it :lol

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
worse case scenario..if i run a 2:10 pace, that will give me 13 min 1.5 mile run time. that is a passing score but if i want a 90 on my test, i need to run a 12 min time.

when i run at a steady pace on my wing run day, i notice that i do pass a lot of people. i always start at the very back of the grid of 300+ runners. we run up a narrow street for a quarter mile and then it is open road after that. i end up passing runners by the 1 mile marker. last week, i decided to hit it hard and only ran 1/8th mile before i was burned out due to shin splints. instead of running 2.2 miles, i ran 1.5 or so (walking and running mixed).

i will do a lot of calf raises to help with this issue. its driving me nuts because i know i can run way better than that.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Ahhh dude you are lucky. I have to make 13:15 or something for two miles to get 90%

201 - 220 of 227 Posts