Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the average running temps for a 2000 gsxr600. I live in southern californta its pretty warm and this is my first bike. I am reaching like 242 degrees. idling is like around 225 degrees is that normal or is that too high. crusin is like 180 degrees. Please advise!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Good looking bike. Ive never seen 240 on mine i see over 220 as high. If i get around 220 i try to hit some open road and cool down a little. I have heard of others on this board hitting low 240s. I dont think its good for the motor to get that hot though.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Originally posted by Dragginmyknees:
What is the average running temps for a 2000 gsxr600. I live in southern californta its pretty warm and this is my first bike. I am reaching like 242 degrees. idling is like around 225 degrees is that normal or is that too high. crusin is like 180 degrees. Please advise!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well..first it depends on the temps..in your area, where it does get HOT..
180 to 190 for cruising sounds about right, but the 242 doesn't..kinda high, so is your fan kicking in..? How is the water level, in the radiator, and in the coolant resivor..? and when was the last time the cooling system was flushed..? I change my water every 3 months..which is prolly extrem, I also use Water Wetter, which helps, to keep it running a couple degrees cooler, and it allows the motor to cool down faster. Rememeber to only use Distilled water..Water Wetter can be bought at pepboys, make sure you get the one for aluminmum radiators..if ya wanna try it, you can mix it with your usual coolant too..

·
Registered
351 Posts
From the clymer manual for 750 96 to 99 @ 225 the fan comes on @ 248 the light comes on and flashes in the tach @ 254 the display indacates hi and keeps flashing while the indacator light in the tach remains on. @ this point you should shut it down.

[ 06-30-2002, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Speed Fiend ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
In Cinci I usually stay around 173 to 178 cruising. When I get caught in traffic I will go up to about 224 and this is with the outside temp around 80 to 85. I don't know if this helps but air flow is the key(duh) I find that my temp will go up a coupla degrees when I am too close behind a semi even at 50 mph. Loss of airflow I guess, I don't stay there too long anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts