Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
The other day I posted a thread about suppression caps. To those who read it did not solve my problem. Let me tell you what happened and maybe some of you guys can give me some advice here. About a week ago I dropped my bike whilst putting it on the side stand and had to replace a couple things like the clutch lever and rear indicator. Since then the bike is not running properly and it feels like it is only running on 3 cylinders. I found 2 of the suppression caps to be faulty and replaced them. But the bike still sounds and feels like it is running on 3 cylinders. I have checked for spark and that does not seem to be the problem. Could it be that the carbs have somehow been damaged? I'm lost please help.

·
Super Moderator
17,408 Posts
Carb floats been checked???
Maybe sumptin got stuck closed in there??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did the bike fall over when the engine was running?. The reason i'm asking this is that in rare circumstances the oil pump can be momenterily starved of oil which is enough to cause engine damage. I'm not trying to panic you and I hope this hasn't happened. That is the reason I never man handle my bike with the engine running as it happened to a friend and cost him a crank repair.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i would try to check the carbs like spike52 said. it could be the jaring of when the bike fell could have made a float stick closed.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys
I'll be ripping the carbs off this evening and I will take a look. I hate taking the carbs off it is such a ball ache. BTW the engine was off at the time.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys
I am in my nature a very laze person and always check the easiest things first. The suppression caps are all Ok, the HT leads are Ok, the coils are Ok and there is spark on all 4. When I give the motor a short run the #3 header pipe remains cold. So it is definitely only running on 3 cylinders. This is real weird as I have also crashed a lot of bikes in my life and have never had this kind of problem. What makes it stranger is that the bike fell over semi controlled, in other words it did not smash into the ground. I felt it going and tried as much as possible to slow the bike down before it hit the ground. Maybe I should just get a couple of flat slides Mikunis and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Fastcat
No such thing as a dumb suggestion, I deal with a lot of customers and experience has taught me to always ask the obvious as a lot of people seem to make assumptions about things and as we all know, Assumption is the mother of all F-_k-up's. My bike no longer has the standard fuel tap and the vac tube is sealed off. I must say you really impress me with all you tech knowledge on bikes. If I wasn't already happily married I'd come over there and propose to you.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
You said that there was spark at all four plugs, so that only leaves air and fuel. If the bell of the carb isn't blocked that only leave fuel. Did the circlip fall off of the needle? Is the float stuck closed or the needle valve trapped closed? did you suck some crap past the fuel filter that blocked the jets? Is the needle valve stuck open so that fuel flowing into the carb is making it so rich that it won't run (that one happened to my friend's F4 racebike)? Good luck. Troy 341

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm with 341 on this one. I think you are not getting any fuel to the #3 cylinder, probably a peice of crud blocking one of the passageways. Or perhaps a float is jammed in the closed position, not allowing any fuel into the float chamber. Either way, I think you are going to have to remove and inspect the carbs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
that happened to me and it turned out that the float needles were jammed, just tap your carbs lightly, to release the needle and start her up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts