Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 GSX-R1000
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, recently my 2002 GSXR1000 has started to run on 3 cylinders when I start it up. The problem disappears after the engine temperature reaches 40C or if I give it throttle to over 3000rpm after which it starts to clear up. The issue has also once occurred with a warm engine, which also cleared up after I gave it some revs. The cold start is set such that the rpms are at 1600 when I first fire her up. I also think the bike has been smelling rich, which it didn't do before. I can't really notice the issue once I am riding with a warm engine.

I replaced the plugs and air filter, which cured the issue for a few days after which it returned. The old plugs were only used for 6000km and they appeared to be in good shape. My running hypothesis is that either an injector is clogged/sticky or a plug cap/coil is faulty, although I haven't tested either of those yet. Could a bad battery be the cause of my issue? I accidently let my lithium battery drain to empty once although it still fires up strong and doesn't give other indications it would be bad.

Any and all ideas are appreciated, thanks for reading!

Ps. On a side note, I think I am also losing a small amount of coolant after every ride. However the exhaust doesn't smell like coolant and the oil isn't milky at all so I think I may just be leaking slightly from the radiator cap or a hose, could this be related? The issue appeared only after changing my coolant and the quantity is so tiny I think it is just a leak from somewhere. No engine temperature issues either.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,331 Posts
Batteries, particularly lithiums, don't like to be drained. Consider yourself lucky that it isn't dead.

Was one of the plugs coated with carbon? You could find out which cylinder is bad with an infrared temperature gun or by spraying water on the headers. Then swap the coil with another cylinder to see if the problem moves. You could do the same thing with the injector but that's enough of a hassle that I'd be inclined to run some injector cleaner through the bike for a while to see if that cleans things up. Cleaners with polyetheramine (PEA) are supposed to work best.

The coolant leak sounds like a hose. Whatever it is, you need to find it. The bleed screw on the thermostat housing has a gasket that can be lost.

·
Registered
2002 GSX-R1000
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, Bill. I'll have a crack at your suggestions. I know I'm lucky regarding the battery, that's why I was wondering if it could affect the running even though it doesn't necessarily show the usual symptoms. The plugs all looked quite uniform without buildup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts