Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if doing this to a Busa or GSXR-1K wasn't bad enough,this poor bike is ruined. Looks to be a '91-92. :facepalm

Attachments

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
That's a shame because the workmanship looks pretty damn good!

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
It's clean, so whatever. I'd only be mad if it were the typical trash build

·
Calamari
306 Posts
At least it wasn't cobbled together. It appears to me that it could be put back to stock fairly easy. I have always liked the long, low look, however the super fat tire, ugly wheels and stupid mirrors ruin the look for me. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
100 Posts
At least it wasn't cobbled together. It appears to me that it could be put back to stock fairly easy. I have always liked the long, low look, however the super fat tire, ugly wheels and stupid mirrors ruin the look for me. Just my 2 cents.

I agree!! Part of the hobby is being a little unique. I usually do mild resto-mods and rationalize this way: After periodically picking up near basket cases, sometimes you're faced with mega-buck remedies to "previous changes" that are disappointing on some level and might disqualify a bike from becoming a museum piece. But practically speaking, they are of little consequence if you plan on keeping the bike . The fact that it can probably be put back to stock fairly easily is important and I make sure I can do the same if possible. Not sure where something like polishing the frame fits in with this. The frame on my latest project looks like someone took a wire brush to an 8 or 10 inch stretch of it. Maybe it was neanderthal experiment to see how easily the anodizing could be removed but wouldn't ya hope
someone would have the common sense to at least first try it on an unobtrusive spot?? A real shame since the rest of the exposed part of it is nearly perfect. Am wondering if there's a way to fix that area without polishing the whole thing BUT sometimes you end up saving one from the scrap pile, and if it's not factory perfect, c'est la vie. On one level, there is no substitute for an unrestored low mileage museum example but if you can get sort of close to that, you're not doing too bad. The ones that are harder for me personally to grab on to are so-called "bobbers". Each to his own but IMO there is no better way to manufacture a candidate for 1st place at the "Fugly Awards". But I'll defend you're right to build one! (8

1 - 9 of 9 Posts