Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in need of some new tires for the gixx. Wanted to know what your bikes are running on? Ive got some old Metzelers but they seem to be an expesive tire, Whats a good tire for the best of my money? I'd really like some direction with this since mine are getting pretty bad. Thanks
-Kyle

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I like Battlax tires because they withstand many miles of high-speed commuting, and stick well enough in the twisties.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Avon AM23 150/70/18 rear
Avon AM22 110/80/18 front
Spendy as hell but well worth it

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
BT 45's - definate goto get the smaller wheels - a few years time and wont be able to get crap....
Si

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since tires are the only thing touching the ground, don't skimp out. A good tire can be the difference between riding on or crashing. Spend some of your hard earned money on good tires, Metzlers are a fine choice.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im looking at the Battlax's and even some of the Michelins, and they got nothing in my size??
Right now on there
Rear - 170/60 VB18
Front - 110/70 VB18
SO that means its an 18inch rim and 170 width and the height is 60 on the rear right?

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Yes, that's what those numbers mean. I understand the V is the speed rating, and B is bias ply. What width are your rims? You must be runnin' the 88 1100 rims, are ya? Three spokes? Hard to tell from your sig pic.

Only tire width I saw when I was out shopping was the 160/60 for the rear. There's a 120/70 I think front tire in the Metzeler. I run the Michelin Pilots on mine. Gave them a good workout this weekend, very impressed with them. Kept up with some much more modern rubber in the twisties. I was the oldest bike in the crew.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
SO given that the old skool gsxr's have 18 incher's on them - what are the options for wheels to change over ? Are there any wheels which are a straight swap ?? If i can get 17's the list of potential tyres triples....
Anyone know ?
Si.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
You should be able to do the rear as a straight swap, so long as you get the assm. fairly complete. The front will require a little more effort. I've got an address for a wheel chart here at gixxer.com on the home computer, but I'm at work. If somebody else doesn't get ya the info, I'll post it up this evening.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
im on my old race take offs from my last race bike, so im using pirreli super corsa dragons.

i also like the metzler MEz1 and the dunlop 208's were great to. the michilin pilot sport was a good tire to. but like said above
1. those tires keep you from crashing so get some good ones
2. make sure you scuff them up and get the tire grease off of them before you first ride them.
3. air pressure check it before every ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts